The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new shotgun for waterfowl but I am not sure if I should go with a 10 gauge or 12 gauge? I currently have a 12 gauge Remington 11-87 that I use for small game. Is the ammo for the 10 gauge hard to find and a lot more expensive? Does a 10 gauge have that much more range? Is 10 gauge available in 3 inch?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Your 12 gauge Remington is more than adequate for ducks and geese with a good choke and ammo combination. Why punish yourself with a 10 Ga?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Good advice. A 10 ga shot frequently, like when hunting ducks, takes a lot of getting used to and more people don't shott them than do. Hey, does anyone recall the 8 and 4 gage shotguns?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have both if you got 10 get a semi it uses up some recoil. But I don't really notice any real difference when goose hunting if you get em in close you could shoot a 20

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
I used an Ithaca Mag 10 for years. I bought it because the 10 did have an advantage over the 12 with early steel shot.

As the 12 gage steel shells improved the difference was not worth the weight or the cost of the 10. I bought an SBE because the 3.5" shell was about equal to the 10 ga 3".

Now I only use the 3.5" for geese on occassions. The 3" 12 gage ammo has improved to a point I never feel undergunned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your 11-87 12ga is perfect for anything you need to do.

I own a number of shotguns in 12ga & 20ga and a Remington 10ga. I use the 10ga for geese and turkey. I use a 12ga O/U for ducks.

The 10ga produces far superior patterns to my other shotguns. Felt recoil is less than the 12ga with non-toxic loads - probably due to the weight of the gun.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have shot many snows with 3" steel in 12 ga. and see no need to go to a 10. I have an 835 that handles 3 1/2" but seldom shoot them.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would go with the 12 for no other reasons then cost and availability of ammo. 12 gauge ammo will be a couple bucks cheaper per box and is much more common. Went through this with a friend this year. He was big into turkey hunting and only owned a 10 gauge. He had to drive to Cabelas to get steel so he could come goose hunting with me. Checked half a dozen local places and no one had 10 gauge steel.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have both. I use 12 guage 3 inch in my old 1100 in the early season . When the weather turns nasty and the geese get smarter- my 10 guage BPS with BBB or T is outstanding. Especially for skittish geese that land outside the decoys. 10 guage 3.5 is superior to 12 guage 3.5 because of being a larger diameter bore. The larger shot isn't pinched as much.Top that off with a Pattern Master choke and ur ready for any situation.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've only used a 10 for the last 3 seasons and half of a 4th. My 10 kicks less than a 12 based on the weight of the gun alone. It has a superior pattern over any 12 ga and allows me to shoot everything from 1.25 oz to 1.75 oz loads and make the most of them. More pellets on target for me equals more one shot kills and a whole lot less crippling. I shoot less 10 ga shells because of it and save money over 12 ga shells. A case of federals is $189 and at 19 bucks a box it's as cheap as any decent 3" 12. I shoot 1.75 oz #3's federals on ducks this year. Shooting that load, using a IC choke, i put more pellets on target at Mod choke range than a 12 puts on target using a Mod choke. It's math, but numbers don't lie. I can use a choke with less constriction and still shoot a decent great pattern 10 yards past it's designation, when compared to 12 ga 3".

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've shot a 10 gauge for the last 20 yrs. No cripples with it and less recoil than my 12 but the downside is finding shells and the price when buying a box at a time. I'll continue to use it .

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Everyone thinks a 10ga will killyou i have one in a auto and it kicks less than my 20ga the only thing bad about the 10ga is the cost of shells i will say if money not the ? buy the 10ga their is a big differnts in a 12ga31/2 and a 10ga i have both and i love the 10ga just wish shells were cheaper

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with some hunters,it doesnt matter what gauge when there in range.I used to use 3.5 shells but switched to 3inch,harvesting just as many if not more.plus saving almost $5 per box.maybe pass shooting or jump shooting u prefer different gauge or shells.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i have both, use the 12 more...i use the 10 for snows and geese only....

great thing about a 12 is most people use it. so if you forget your shells at home, you aren't out of luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd stick with the 12 for sure, you can find the shells everywhere for starters. Your current rem is plenty good for ducks and geese but who doesn't need another gun right??? Just make sure to pattern the load you choose, stick with it and remember that a x-full choke won't always make a tighter pattern than a full or even a modified. Sometimes that extra squish seems to make that pattern bounce open faster when it becomes too much... Seen it with my scattergun patterns in both lead and steel of all shot sizes. If you really feel you need the extra shot weight then I'd suggest a 12ga 3 1/2in chamber over the 10ga as they carry the same shot weights and if you travel to hunt at all you won't have to worry about going to reserves where the 10ga is banned (the reason the 12ga 3 1/2 took hold) To top it off most of your 12ga are far lighter and faster to point. Throw a few of each up to your shoulder at your local gun shop I'm sure you'll see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts