The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder by glass-bedding the original stock on the Remington's can you loose value on the gun?
I have no intention in selling it The gun is all original except now for the glass bed front recoil lug area.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
If done properly, probably not?

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you believe that a rifle has collector's value then yes-any after market work will reduce the value of the rifle. Do you consider your Mohawk to have collector's value??

Now the second way to value a rifle is what is it worth to a hunter. Now as far as a hunter is concerned-if the rifle is sold as a shooter--it will probably slightly increase the value.

But if you are not selling I don't quit understand the question?? Personally I have not heard of the Mohawk's as being a rifle that collector's are after in any real volume. Tom.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just wondering the rifle seem to draw a dollars value of any were from 500.00 to 850.00 on auctions sites.
I myself see the rifle only the way she shoots and yes if I sold it. I would be more on the lines as a shooter in excellent condition
just something came to mind

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Any Model 600 has collectors value....The Mohawk has the least of any of them because of its limited range of calibers and its birch stock...Doing just about anything external to a Mohawk is going to reduce it to a shooter in my book.Bedding may not affect the value.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Don't recall ever seeing a 600 or 660 with a birch stock, except for the birch/walnut laminates in 6.5 and 350 magnums? Know they've become pricey, which is funny, since when they were new, hardly anyone wanted one.

A buddy picked up a minty one years ago, in 243. He wanted it for his son, but didn't want to hack the original stock, so picked up a beater stock for me to shorten. I didn't get around to it fast enough, so he picked it up and took it elsewhere.

Back in the mid-70s, I think just about every farm kid around my camp had a "Mohawk" 243 as their first deer rifle. A buddy that came to camp with me, once asked if they all got one around there for their 12th birthdays.

I call 'em all Mohawks, regardless of whether they are...or ain't. Handy little devils, if somewhat loud barkers.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the mohawk was the second generation of the 600 and had a 20 inch barrel and birch stock and was produced most of the 70's. in my opinion, unless you have a NIB mohawk, a well done bedding job will not affect the value. but i'm suprised you had to do it because they are usually very accurate stock. my bone stock 600 mag 350 will shoot MOA out past 200 yards.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did find it shot well and the factory stock was free floated barrel,but the action up front had a lot of side clearance.I tested it by slipping a dollar between the side and the stock after the recoil lug and it would slip in easy.I only skim coated the front of the action and the recoil lug area and about 1 1/2" into the barrel channel gun shrunk the group down to 3 shots in one hole bed job came out excellent NO AIR POCKETS.
I was lucky to find the Mohawk with the factory stock a little darker the the color (blond) this stock I would say is not factory walnut but had a darker color and more on the look of walnut.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
DennyF said:
Don't recall ever seeing a 600 or 660 with a birch stock,
Oh, it's birch alright..I'll never forget my first "Mohawk" in 308..I went to set the rifle against a tree, and when I let the buttstock down on a hunk of stone, the toe of the stock split clean off!

I never fancied these rifles as tackdrivers..Bought one in 6mm Rem. once and it would shoot only factory loads satisfactorily..Couldn't get a handload to shoot.Had a regular 600 in 222 Rem. and it too shot less than stellar groups......Never had a problem with my 6.5 or my 350.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I might be wrong, but I believe the Mohawks were sold
in chain stores, Walmart, Kmart, etc. My dad had a 222
that shot extremely well, I had one in 308 for awhile
and sold it. I currently have one in .35 Remington, but
its not a Mohawk.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Most guys who buy these guns will not care about a glass bedding job but IF you wanted to take your gun to a collector and try to get top dollar for the gun he may say it was altered with a bedding job and tell you its worth less..

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
LONEWOLF5347 said:
I did find it shot well and the factory stock was free floated barrel,but the action up front had a lot of side clearance.I tested it by slipping a dollar between the side and the stock after the recoil lug and it would slip in easy.I only skim coated the front of the action and the recoil lug area and about 1 1/2" into the barrel channel gun shrunk the group down to 3 shots in one hole bed job came out excellent NO AIR POCKETS.
I was lucky to find the Mohawk with the factory stock a little darker the the color (blond) this stock I would say is not factory walnut but had a darker color and more on the look of walnut.
sounds to me like you increased the value if anything. if i was buying one with that story i would not bid less. honestly, as a long time remington collector, i have found the mohawks to be not really a collectors item unless they are NIB and even then not like the early 600's and 660's. keep it for another 30 or 40 years though and it may be a different story. sounds like a great gun for PA hunting. good kid gun too.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow at 64 now would love to keep shooting it 30 to 40 years down the road:
I will more then likely pass it on to my older Gran daughter

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Jericho said:
The Remington M673s came and went pretty fast, Im sure
they also will be collectible in a few years.
ya i was excited when they came out but was disappointed they made them so big and heavy so they never appealed to me. should have been an 18" barrel and slimmer stock. good shooters though. i love the vent ribs and sharkfin front site. plus remington started making 350 and 6.5 mag ammo again which was good news to us model 600 mag owners.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
For awhile alot of places were blowing out their 673
inventory, nobody seemed to want them. 798s and 799s
didnt fair well either.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Jericho said:
The Remington M673s came and went pretty fast, Im sure
they also will be collectible in a few years.

I had one in .350 for a while. It didn't leave much of an impression on me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts