The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out scouting for turkeys and heard a weird noise. it was not light out yet at all. At first I thought it was a young deer or something. I looked it up and I thought I heard a woodcock whistle as well. This is the sound he was making.

http://youtu.be/4Owj52XhoxI

Now I didn't see him, but this was for sure the sound. My only question is are they active in low light times. The sun had not risen yet and it was not exactly grey light either. Are these guys active at night/ early morning? I have never heard them before.

Looks like I may have found a place to take the lab.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Yes, you will hear them "peenting" in the low-light conditions of pre-dawn and dusk.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ryan, I have always seen and heard grouse here but never a woody. Pretty excited for next year. I doubt I will be able to hold out for a nice buck now though

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
That's part of their mating display. Shortly after hearing that you should have been able to hear "twittering", which would be it's wings in flight. They're move active in the evenings, nights, and early mornings than during daylight hours.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Saw the first one buzz over my house last night. I have a swampy stream right next to my house and see them fly over just before dark every spring.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy they were going nuts on my way in. Heard nothing on the way out this morning. I want to film them. They seem to just buzz around like crazy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Things that many folks don't ever get to see or hear!

Enjoy the little guys!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Woodcock will migrate and do mating rituals at night. The mating flight rituals make them very vulnerable to predation from owls.

·
Super Moderator
2,381 Posts
cmrosko said:
Woodcock will migrate and do mating rituals at night. The mating flight rituals make them very vulnerable to predation from owls.
Funny you should say that. I was out last weekend behind the house. Found 20 woodcock and this guy right amongst them.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
man they were everywhere last night. Went to roost a gobbler, and heard a ton of them. Probably wont see any in the fall.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes they were everywhere yesterday. Was out scouting some fishing spots and flushed one out from under the guard rail on RT 17 on the East Branch of the Delaware. It was very close to some good cover but surprising none the less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts