The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before but a friend of my family who used to mount all of our racks on plaques for us has since fallen ill. I always had an interest in doing this myself.

I always cleaned the skull plate off as much as I could after cutting it from the head before giving it to him. I just finished doing this with a knife.

My question is, whats the best way to remove the rest of the material, tissue etc. from the skull prior to doing anything else?

All answers are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
simplest would be to simmer (not boil) the skull plate

·
Registered
999 Posts
I take the fur and as much of the flesh off as possible. Then I salt it and let it sit for a month or two with the salt. When I'm ready I clean off the salt and peel away the dried tissue. I usually than polish the skull with a Dremmel tool and some polishing compound before I attach it to a plaque.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I cut as much off the skull as possiable, then I dig a hole in the ground leaving only the antlers sticking out, I then place a container over the antlers with a cementblock on top. About 6 weeks later the skull is pretty much cleaned off just buy good old nature. I then clean off all the dirt and grim with hot water and bleach the skull, then I let it dry and spray it with a dull clear laqure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All i did was put it in the freezer until spring and then put it at the end of my lot with a old tub/drum with holes in it so the bigger animals wont take it but the fly's and the magnets can clean it after that i put it in a bleach bath and it gets nice and wight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts