The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing a pistol for my son for his birthday. I want to give it to him on his Bday but want to know when I do the purchase paper work will I have to put it in my name or is there a way to put it in his and have him sign later? I am cheap and don't want to pay twice!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I believe you can buy a pistol as a gift to an immediate family member. You can give it to your son as a gift without any paperwork. I'll do some research and see what I can find.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you should buy the pistol like you were getting it for yourself, then you may legally GIVE the gun to your son with out any paperwork

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
jayson said:
just make sure you DO NOT say you are buying it for someone else
Wrong. I suggest you read the info on the posted link.

You can legally buy a firearm for your spouse, parent, child, grandchild or grandparent. If you are doing so, then you are required to say so.

·
Registered
210 Posts
muskie52 said:
No paperwork needed to transfer it to your son as long as he is a PA resident and over 21.
The lawful age of unsupervised possession in PA is 18.

To buy from a FFL, or transfer through an FFL, requires you to be 21. State laws determine ages of possession and private transfers. Federal law governs interstate transfers and commercial transfers, and the transfers of guns to those under 18.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts