The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you guys ever hit a deer in the gut with an arrow, but found the arrow broadhead to fletching in just pure blood, and with no gut or paunch matter and no smell (other than just the blood)?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Sounds like liver to me, or possibly one liver and 1 lung. Depending on shot angle. Also blood color can tell. Either should be a dead deer. More info needed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have gotten guts & lungs on hard angle shots, but the arrow still smelled like guts. Deer died in less than 60 yards.
To me sounds like you got liver as others have said.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Never had that, but I've had the exact opposite on quartering in shots. Hit the lungs then liver then go through the paunch, arrow wiped almost clean of blood and smelled bad.

Had I not visually seen the point of impact on the deer's hide and just went by the arrow, I would think "gut shot" and assume the deer needed 12 or more hours when in fact it was stone cold dead 60 yards down the hill.

Te contents of the rumen wiped that arrow clean. And it put a plug in the exit (lower) hole that limited blood trail. Cavity was full and it was in a huge puddle on recovery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts