The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Every year (provided I get a deer) I get about 5 logs of deer bologna made up. I normally give one or two away to family and then eat the rest. By the time I get to the last one I've had enough bologna and cheese! I was wondering, my brother-in-law has a meat slicer ... if I were to slice the bologna up into lunch meat and then froze it would it stay good? And if so, how long? I mean 1 log of bologna will make a heck of a lot of lunch meat.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Slice it then vac pac it. I do it every year and the taste is the same as the day i froze it. I have had some for over a year and is still good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip - looks like I need a vacuum sealer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,870 Posts
Keystone I bought one of those Reyonalds Handi-Vac. You have to by the bags separate but it works great.

I make many different things with the bologna, fry some in a pan at breakfast, put it in hickory farms sweet and sour sauce (cut into bite size pieces). I have even put into chili.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that seems like a much cheaper alternative to the more expensive ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that seems like a much cheaper alternative to the more expensive ones.
Save yourself head aches down the road...

Pay the money for a Food Saver or 1 like it and cut the bags to the size you need.....


Like letemgrow said..

Vacum pack... you keep the moisture in and the bologna lasts far longer then if it was wrapped and placed in the freezer!

I've seen guys place a log of bologna in the freezer without even wrapping it then get all mad because the bologna dried out....

Vacuming the logs or slices keeps the moisture in and makes the bologna last far longer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
vacume packers are awesome, but salty for the vacume sealer and bags my deer bologna I put in a gallon size ziploc, make sure the air is out and wrap that in tin foil, stays good for a long time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
I just cut mine into 5"-6" sections and vacume seal it and throw it in the back of the freezer. It's kind of nice to dig in the freezer this time of year and find bologna that you thought was gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good ideas gents - looks like next year I can spread my bologna out over more of the year.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Works good with all yor food/leftovers. When chicken, hamburger, steaks, whatever goes on sale buy it up and vac pack it.


Take a vac pack piece of chicken out of the freezer, drop it into some boiling water. It cooks in its own juices, water never touches it, pull out the bag open use the juice to make some gravy, make some buscuits and Yummy. A quick relatively no mess quick meal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheWolf said:
Works good with all yor food/leftovers. When chicken, hamburger, steaks, whatever goes on sale buy it up and vac pack it.


Take a vac pack piece of chicken out of the freezer, drop it into some boiling water. It cooks in its own juices, water never touches it, pull out the bag open use the juice to make some gravy, make some buscuits and Yummy. A quick relatively no mess quick meal.
Interesting idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
I've seen guys place a log of bologna in the freezer without even wrapping it then get all mad because the bologna dried out....

Vacuming the logs or slices keeps the moisture in and makes the bologna last far longer!
That was me about a month ago. I usually only make enough to eat up in about 2 months so I don't vacuum it, but I lost a log in the back of the freezer. Thought I hit the jackpot when I found it, but after thawing the first slice was like cardboard. What a bummer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
you can also do the same with leftovers, found that out while being single. id cook about 6 chicken breasts and rice at a time. vacuum seal individual packages. freeze... boil 10 mins and dinner was done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
jlh42581 said:
you can also do the same with leftovers, found that out while being single. id cook about 6 chicken breasts and rice at a time. vacuum seal individual packages. freeze... boil 10 mins and dinner was done.
But the real question is: Did you find out it was better to remain single? Don't answer if it could cause self-incrimination!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
I cut my bologna into 6-8" logs and then vacuum pack the whole log. I place it the fridge overnight and then cube it up to serve with some cheese cubes.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top