The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor gave me her father's old 35 Remington Gamemaster. I don't know much about these guns and was wondering if anyone could give me some background. It is a pump with a tube magazine. The end of the tube has like spiral grooves in it. The thing looks to be in awesome shape. She gave it to me because she said that I have been really good to her and her husband and very respectful to them. I told her that she and her husband have done more for my brother and myself by giving us a place to hunt. I got a little tearful when she gave it to me because I knew it belonged to her father. Well enough of my rambling, if you have any info it would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sounds like you got a Remington model 141 or a model 14..either way send me your address and phone number and I'll be down to pick it up and we'll negotiate a little deal price..say $100.00 or so..no need for you to have that ole' timer with that big ole' fat slow bullet, completely out of date these days.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
They never much appealed to me when I was a kid, but a neighbor managed to kill a deer almost every year with his M141, handed down from his grandpap.

He used to grumble that his wife wouldn't let him buy a "better" deer rifle, because he already had one. My dad asked him once, how much "better" a rifle he needed, since he'd been pretty lucky with that old corkscrew? Dad also liked to heckle him about bein' hen pecked, too.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Really a very good rifle. It is the father of the Remington 760 and 7600. the 35 Remington is more than enough for any game in Pennsylvania (deer and bear).

It shoots heavy bullets so it starts to drop after about 150 yards, but would kill at much longer range with proper sight-in.

the gun shoould have a brass shell case head on the side of the receiver, sort of classy.

that spiral tube is like that so that the point of one round in the tubular magazine doesn't bear on the primer of the shell ahead of it.

these guns were slick and fast handling. the actions only get smoother the longer you use it. Most did not have sling swivels, but you can add them easy enough.

Congratulations nice gun, and you can use it and think of the memories of the former owner when you take it for a walk in the woods.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a great looking gun...I think I'll carry it when I'm pushing for others this year and in the future

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
6-DASHER said:
Sounds like you got a Remington model 141 or a model 14..either way send me your address and phone number and I'll be down to pick it up and we'll negotiate a little deal price..say $100.00 or so..no need for you to have that ole' timer with that big ole' fat slow bullet, completely out of date these days.
Don't listen to Dasher. He's trying to rip you off. That gus is worth at least $110. He should be ashamed of himself. I'll be down to pay you the real value for it tonight. If you have any ammo I'll throw in an additional $2.00 for it.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
'Cause you don't have an old Gamemaster to dangle and bring out the best in them, most likely?

Or didja mean the part about neighbors that'd give ya such an esteemed prize?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
If it's a Model 14 I think they stopped making them in 1927. I have seen people shooting them at the range. They shoot real nice. I have seen them from $323.00 to $520.00. Now the $323.00 I purchased that one because I knew it was a good deal...Neat gun for sure.. Hope to shoot a few deer with mine too. Ejoy it...They are a nice looking gun....
I do remember getting a phone call from one of the farmers that I hunt predators on his land. He said he had something to give me. Of course right away you start thinking gee I hope he gives me an old 222 or something like that..It was not a gun...but it was a carved fox that he made for me. That was nice too... It's neat when farmers or people think of you and give you something for hunting on their lands...I put it in the place of honor in the livingroom..

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
ALRIGHTY...$200.00 cold cash, a Thanksgiving turkey, wild or store bought, a case of beer of your choice.. BUCK's right, if it's a model 14..does it have the rear sight on the stock/reciever joint?? If it does you got your self a gem!! My Dad and grandfather had one each of the .25Rem, 30rem, 32rem and the common .35 rem.. If you ever run into a .32 buy it on the spot..rarer than filled hen's teeth! I think I would follow Uncle's advice..give it a place of honor in you living room or game room and cherish it.. It's a wonder "BIG GREEN" has never rereleased a version of the 14 or 141..I think they sell a few in a hurry...compare the real steel on that rifle to the stuff today's are made out of..amazing weapon..

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
The 141 has a 24" barrel; the 14 a 22"....The 141 was introduced in 1936, replacing the 14 which came out in....1914....the 141 has a push button safety while most 14s had a thumbnail safety, both located outside the trigger guard....

A few 14s were fitted with 18 1/2" barrels....and referred to as 14Rs....141s all had 24" tubes....

Memory tells me the 14's front sight had a base as part of the barrel unlike the 141 whose front sight fit into a dovetail in the barrel....

The 141s had the model number engraved on the left side of the receiver along with the Gamemaster designation...I'm at camp now and don't have a 14 to look at to see what, if any, inscription was on the receiver....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure its a 141. The engraving is on the left side of the receiver if my memory is correct. As far as the rear sight, it has a peep sight on it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I saw a Remington Model 14 in 25 Rem for sale many
years ago, it was well used, and to this day has been
the only one in 25 Rem I have handled.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Sadly the model 14 or even the model 141 if someone went and had it tapped for a scope that lowers the price on them. Funny things about collectable.. take a old predator call...It might be worth something but take that same old predator call and if you have the box it came in then it's worth more money...

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The 141 is a great gun and yours in chambered for a great old caliber! I believe the spiral magazine tube was designed to allow pointed bullets to be safely loaded into it?

Harrysigafoo said:
the gun shoould have a brass shell case head on the side of the receiver, sort of classy.
Always really liked that feature!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I really believe you owe that lady a big box of chocolates this christmas.You have one of the great classics there.If you can,get yourself a copy of Shooting Times March 2010.There is a great article by Layne Simpson titled,Class Act.It is all about the model 14 and 141.It was made from 1936to 1951.The difference between the two is that the 141 is just an upgraded 14.To peek inside is to marvel at a level of quality.intricate machining and hand-fitting that will never be seen again on a rifle the average deer hunter can afford to buy.After reading this article i happened to pick one up at the harrisburg gin show for $400.It is in great shape made in 1942 and cots holes at 50 yrds with open sights.If all these kudo's wasn't enough,at the end of the article Layne states that about 10 years ago he had a friend that worked for remington,and he stated that in order to duplicate the model 14 (same as 141) and make a decent profit,it would have to retail for OVER $3000.Take care of it and enjoy shooting or hunting with.You have a Classic in the truest sense of the word.Be Safe!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Nice score. There's an old WWII vet named Jack that frequents the donut shop in my town. He was driving down the road years ago and an elderly lady was dragging a heavy garbage can out to the curb. It was her husbands gun collection. He had died and she saw no use or value to them so she put them out for the garbage man to take......

Jack had a nice day.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
Really a very good rifle. It is the father of the Remington 760 and 7600. the 35 Remington is more than enough for any game in Pennsylvania (deer and bear).

It shoots heavy bullets so it starts to drop after about 150 yards, but would kill at much longer range with proper sight-in.

that spiral tube is like that so that the point of one round in the tubular magazine doesn't bear on the primer of the shell ahead of it.

these guns were slick and fast handling. the actions only get smoother the longer you use it. Most did not have sling swivels, but you can add them easy enough.

Congratulations nice gun, and you can use it and think of the memories of the former owner when you take it for a walk in the woods.
The Ballistics for a 35 Remington is almost identical to the 30-30 Winchester and the accuracy drops beyond 150 yards and the bullet travels so slow that it is not effective out past 150 yards.

It is a very good gun for anyone that shoots 50 - 100 yard shots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts