The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST PUT NEW SIGHTS ON MY GUN UP AND DOWN I AM HITTING GREAT. I AM CONSTANTLY HITTING TO THE RIGHT ABOUT 1 FOOT AT 50 YARDS I HAVE THE REAR SIGHT ADJUSTED AS FAR AS IT WILL GO AND STILL HITTING RIGHT. SO WHAT WAY DO I NEED TO MOVE THE FRONT BLADE TO PULL IT BACK TO THE LEFT? AND YES I SHOT 4 SHOTS AND CLEANED THE BARREL FOUND MY PATCHES THEY ARE PERFECT.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If you hit right you should move you rear sight to the left.
Make sure the front sight is dead center on the barrel.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I HAVE THE REAR SIGHT IF LOOKING FROM THE BACK OF THE GUN MOVED TO THE RIGHT.....SO IF I BRING IT BACK TOWARDS THE CENTER IT SHOULD PULL THE SHOT TO THE LEFT?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If your sight is sitting to the right,I would center it,and shoot a round,and see where it hits.If you still hit right move the site to the left.If it shoots left move to right.
As a last you could move the front sight a little to where the bullet hit,but it harder to adjust the front.

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
I tend to agree with retiredusn on this issue. The front sight should be as close to dead center on the barrel and unmoveable.

You file the front sight to adjust "up" movement.

This leaves the rear sight. If you need to move the POI to the left, move the rear sight to the left. If you need to move the POI to the right, move the rear sight to the right.

To drop the POI lower, you need to deepen the rear notch ever so slightly. Once you have achieved your desired POI, tap the barrel metal to secure the sights.

If none of this works to achieve your desired outcome, find a forked tree, remove the barrel from the stock, and gently bend the barrel toward the desired POI!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had steel sights on and just put fiber optic ones on with the steel sights i was shooting small paper plate groups at 50 yards so the gun shoots strait so no need to use the tree lol

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Simple
Move the rear sight the way you want the bullet to move.
Move front opposite of this.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Follow 410er's advise on which way to move either sight. The amount that it needs to be moved is calculated in this way. First measure the distance between the front and rear sights.

Distance between sights----?
Distance to target--------- 50 yards so 36" x 50 = 1800 (36" per yard conversion)
Distance from center of target------- 12"

Formula: 12 x (distance between sights) / 1800 = adjustment amount

Example: 12" (distance from center left or right) times 24" (distance between sights) = 288. 288/1800(50 yards) =.160 You need to move a total of 160 thousands of an inch.

You can move both front and rear sights depending on how it lines up and looks to you when you snap the rifle to your shoulder. The distance between your sights are probably much less than 24" (24" was a 42" long barrel) so you need to do your own calculations. You can move the front 1/2 distance and rear 1/2 the distance instead of just one sight the full amount.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i had this problem with a brand new T/C Firestorm out of the box. i sent it back to T/C and got it back about 2-3 weeks later with a note that said nothing was wrong with the sights or barrel so at that point i was a lil mad. i took it back out and with a few minor adjustments it was on at 100 yds. so it was either me, which i dont think it was cause i moved the rear sight to the right all the way and left all the way a few time and still the best i could get was about a foot right. so maybe they did something or put a new barrel on it and didnt want to admit it. who knows but im good now. maybe you just need to shoot it again.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got to shoot today 50 yards off sand bags before I shot moved rear sight back to middle 1st shot 3 in right of mark more sight left again and hit about 2 in high if the mark shot 35 more shots and and had a small paper plate group. Im ready for Monday .......think when I first shot I just had my self so [censored] off I started pulling them

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sighting in a a muzzle loader, no matter what the ignition is, is just like any rifle. A common problem a lot of people have is they fire a shot, then adjust the sight, fire another shot adjust the sight, don't do this. Fire 2 or 3 shots then look to see if you have a group or are they all over the target. If you have a group adjust the sights. If it's all over the paper, then you have a non sight issue and adjusting the sights won't do a thing for point of aim.
The problem will be load, something loose,bad barrel, or in a lot of case the person doing the shooting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts