The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a legitimate question for a WCO.

Based on some of the stories I've read on here lately and things I've seen in person - I would like to know if it is a 'crime' when someone FALSELY accuses someone else of PA Game Law violation?

Most recently it seems that there is a lot of ACCUSING going on regarding a stud of a buck that was killed out East. Tell me this, what happens if the PAGC does their due diligence, investigates this story and finds out there was NO WRONG-DOING? I think that in circumstances like this, the accusers should be punished.

In my opinion, you should not be permitted to embarrass, discredit and basically publicly humiliate someone without recourse - again, IN MY OPINION.

I'd like to hear from someone 'in the know'. Otherwise, we're just free to turn in everyone we THINK 'might be bending the rules'. This is ridiculous.

I saw this happen first-hand locally years back. A guy from town shot a decent buck in gun season from a farm that allows public hunting. The group of 'regulars' that hunt the farm hard were upset about it and called the PAGC to investigate because they 'thought' that the same guy had taken a buck in archery season. This became a big deal, he and his family were quite embarrassed by the whole thing. I'm sure he had to explain to his young daughters (and countless neighbors) why the 'police' were at his house looking around and asking questions, etc. etc.

My point to this post is...yes, if you know that a game law violation has occurred - it's your DUTY as a sportsman to report it. BUT, we all need to realize that pointing a finger is a very serious matter.

Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
You have to take it for what it's worth. Is it the same people always calling over nothing? Or was it some guys (or gals) that truely thought that there was a violation? If you make it so the accusers get fined or something nobody will be calling them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I certainly isn't anything that can be done under the Game Code, however there may be a civil case for a slander suit if the accused was actually damaged in some way other than embassament. It would be very hard to seperate information that was given from a person who legitimately thought they were reporting a violation from someone who gave false information with malace. If there were punishment for mistakes no one would give authoritis information.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would have to agree with Hunt/Fish, if it's always the same person calling in then they should be looked into. However, if you create repercussions for every responsible sportsman who is looking out for the welfare of the public's game/rules by calling in possible poachers, then no one would do it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would suspect taht someone always giving info to a WCO, that the WCO would have to see if there s enough evidence t do anything about it....many times info is received but there isnt enough to do anything with it.... "Hey Mr. WCO, So and So is killing deer.... I know trhis because I'm seeing less and less around' that is not enough info.... I agree with John S..... if we punish those who give bad info no one would call in information.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I see your point, but really don't see it as that big of an issue. Giving incorrect information regarding someone shooting a Deer is far from a life-altering event for either the accuser, or the potential victim of it. I don't think there are folks out there that make it their lifes work to discredit EVERY guy that shoots a bigger class Buck in their locale.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Probably so, just like people who contantly call their local police to complalin about a neighbor...but that neighbor hasn't done anything wrong, other than annoy the caller.

Doesn't take the cops long to just "consider the source" and act accordingly, in most cases.

Opposite end of the spectrum from those who see things and won't get involved: Those who are constantly seeing things that aren't there and become pests.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Mrs. Kravitz from Bewitched comes to mind. I'm sure many of the "not so long in the tooth" posters won't know what the heck I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Hey, many times their may have been a violation, but after it's investigated, everyone knows the guy did it and there's just not enough proof to hold up in court.

·
Registered
185 Posts
From Title 34 (Game & Wildlife Code)

Sec. 906. False or fraudulent statements on reports, etc.

A person who makes any false or fraudulent statement on any report or application required by this title, or to any representative of the commission, commits a summary offense of the fourth degree.

·
Registered
730 Posts
that section pertains to giving a written statement or filing an application not to providing information to a WCO or calling in potentional info related to a violation

·
Registered
185 Posts
or to any representative of the commission

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I beleive that refers to a written statement.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What I most often find is that in every rumor about someone violating the game law that it is either entirely true or at least part of its true. The real struggle is getting the hard evidence to prove that they did what was told to me. While I wish all of the facts that someone tells me were always true, it just doesn't happen that way. On the other side of things is that I would much rather have people reporting violations (even if the info. isn"t exact) rather than them not saying anything at all.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
bus22 said:
or to any representative of the commission
Yeah, tell that one to the judge: "Your Honor, the defendant told me Joe Schmoe killed a deer illegally, but since his claim was unfounded, I cited him". Yeah, OK.

·
Registered
24,908 Posts
4906. False reports to law enforcement authorities.
(a) Falsely incriminating another.--Except as provided in
subsection (c), a person who knowingly gives false information
to any law enforcement officer with intent to implicate another
commits a misdemeanor of the second degree.
(b) Fictitious reports.--Except as provided in subsection
(c), a person commits a misdemeanor of the third degree if he:
(1) reports to law enforcement authorities an offense or
other incident within their concern knowing that it did not
occur; or
(2) pretends to furnish such authorities with
information relating to an offense or incident when he knows
he has no information relating to such offense or incident.
(c) Grading.--If the violation of subsection (a) or (b)
occurs during a declared state of emergency and the false report
causes the resources of the law enforcement authority to be
diverted from dealing with the declared state of emergency, the
offense shall be graded one step greater than that set forth in
the applicable subsection.
(June 28, 2002, P.L.481, No.82, eff. 60 days

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Look, usually a guy that doesn't have all the information tells you that. He'll say that he heard etc. etc. Now when someone wants to tip you off to something and swear to it, you ask for a written statement. That way, he get's a subpoena if it goes to court. You don't just charge a guy with a crime for giving you bad information without malicious intent. If you think he's trying to use you to get to someone, ya make him put it in writing so that you can come back on him when it all comes out in the wash.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts