The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the governing body at the present time that regulates taxidermists in PA? I know it used to be the game commission but heard it is now the Dept of Agriculture or something. Reason I ask is this and I would like opinions on how to handle this problem.

I have a neighbor who is a taxidermist. A few years ago we bartered services where I did work for him in exchange for him doing taxidermy for me. All was good and I ended up with about a $700 credit. I got lucky and shot a piebald deer and he was to do a full body mount for me and we agreed on the price of the mount and obviously I was to pay him the difference on completion. Well that was probably almost 10 years ago. I still do not have my mount and it has been one excuse after another. I know there were some health issues for sometime but all that is well. Everytime I see him he says he will have it in a month and this goes on and on. At this point I don't even want him to finish it and I would like my cape back to take elsewhere and call it a day with him. I can't seem to get results there either as I actually think he has damaged or lost the cape somewhere. I know in the past that if reported to the PGC when they were governing it they would investigate. I really at this point would like to turn him in somewhere and let some authority handle it and hopefully recover my cape and if they can levy penalties to him all the better. What is my recourse or options here?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Do you have anything in writing? The credit amount, a rec. for the taxidermy work would really help in this matter. If you have nothing in writing, it may turn into a matter of his word against yours.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fly - unfortunately he was a friend and is a neighbor so there was an agreement. Yes I do have documentation as to the work I did and he has his record of receipt of my animal as required by taxxidermists. This is not about the money - it is about him having my cape and never doing the work. Money has never been an issue or dispute nor his possession of my cape - just that he has not done anything. I have necessary documentation that I could go to small claims court for non-payment of the work that I did and win but what good is a judgement anyway and I still would not have my trophy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After 10 years I doubt you will have a foot to stand on.

Just ask him for the deer, he should turn it over to you <u>if</u> he still has it.

You will have to have a receipt from him to accomplish anything.

Have you asked for the cape yet?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last time I talked to him - I told him I just wanted the cape back and be done with it. He started saying that he used some kind of tanning process that would not make it conducive to just laying over a chair as such and would have to be mounted to be any good or it would be ruined. I mentioned I did not care about that but just wanted it back. He told me he would get it out of the freezer and check it out and drop it off - that was 4 months ago, just more of the aroutine BS.

I understand that I am unlikely to get any solid advice due to the "band of brothers", "fratenity" or whatever else you want to call it to not sell out your own, but this is the sort of thing that allot of customers end up dealing with it with their "trophies of a lifetime".

·
Registered
569 Posts
Then maybe you need to go over and take it out of his feezer yourself.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
huntin-nut said:
The last time I talked to him - I told him I just wanted the cape back and be done with it. He started saying that he used some kind of tanning process that would not make it conducive to just laying over a chair as such and would have to be mounted to be any good or it would be ruined. I mentioned I did not care about that but just wanted it back. He told me he would get it out of the freezer and check it out and drop it off - that was 4 months ago, just more of the aroutine BS.

I understand that I am unlikely to get any solid advice due to the "band of brothers", "fratenity" or whatever else you want to call it to not sell out your own, but this is the sort of thing that allot of customers end up dealing with it with their "trophies of a lifetime".
There is no such thing as a "band of brothers" or "Fraternity" here. You're getting some sound advice. By waiting 10 years you have basically "told" him that it wasn't that important to you so why should it be important to him? If it is important enough to you give him an ultimatum--something like, "I'll be over tomorrow to get my cape at 7:30 PM. Can you make sure you have it out for me?" And then GO OVER and get your cape. Do not take any excuses like you have in the past---you'll only perpetuate the problem. If he does not have it or comes up with yet another excuse send him a Certified Letter formally requesting your cape back within 7 days. Keep receipts and copies of all communications. If he still doesn't comply then take him to Small Claims Court.

The International Brotherhood of Taxidermy Professionals and the National Fraternal Order of Taxidermists don't want dead beat taxidermists around any more than you do but there are some things you need to do yourself. You helped create the problem by letting 10 years pass so now it is up to you to fix the problem.
Good luck and tell us how it works out.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
just ask for your hide back and the $700 minus $130 to tan a lifesize whitetail and then go get somebody else to mount it

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am a very patient person and more than reasonable and I will admit that in not pressuring it more I have perpetuatedd the problem. I don't care about the money and am more than happy to get my cape and call it even. I was basically looking some insight as to if their could be penalties to his license. My current taxidermist told me a couple years back that when the PGC regulated taxidermists in the state that a simple phone call would have them all over this guy with inspections and that he could possibly have his license suspended as a penalty - I don't know if that is fact or not. He said that a couple years back the regulatory aspects changed to the Dept of Agriculture ( i think that is what he said) and they would basically be worthless like most governmental agencies to even investigate. So basically all I need to know is
#1 - Who is the regulatory agency that oversees the taxidermy licensees in the state?
#2 - Would they suspend or revoke a license for somthing like this?

I already know that I just need to go over and get it but I actually believe he did something with it.

To the guy who said something about a $300 mount - I never said anything about a $300 charge or the quality of his work. He is not cheap and does do outstanding work. He has won state competitions and such and I am sure if I mentioned his name many of the taxidermists would personally know him or know of him.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Pa Dept. of Ag is the licensing authority for taxidermists in PA. However, the situation you are talking about is due entirely to his poor business practices and, by your own admission, your apathy. The PDA is not going to revoke, suspend or penalize his license simply because he is a lousy businessman.
For your information, had this situation occurred 5 years ago the PGC also would have done nothing about it for the same reasons the PDA won't now. He has done nothing illegal. Slimy, unethical and maybe foolish...but not illegal.

Go back and reread my first post to you. Follow my instructions and get this situation resolved.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts