The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question from a friend of mine about a specific muzzleloader, if anyone has any information about the answer I'd appreciate it......Thanks, OLS

Here it is:
You being from PA, have you ever heard of a muzzleloader which is famous and made from curly maple used by Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton and was a famous long-rifle the frontiersmen had around the Ft. Pitt area back in the 1780's?

I used to have a website where you could order them hand made. Let me know if you are familiar with that type. They have a octagon barrel and are of the flintlock design.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i think this is what your asking they called it the ky longrifle they even had a song for it called the hunters of kentucky

·
Registered
731 Posts
Boone was reported to carry a Pennsylvania longrifle of the York school

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
From what I understand Boone carried a York school gun, and whenever he ordered up a new gun it did come from PA. But as for the specific I really have no clue

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
OneLongShot said:
This is a question from a friend of mine about a specific muzzleloader, if anyone has any information about the answer I'd appreciate it......Thanks, OLS

Here it is:
You being from PA, have you ever heard of a muzzleloader which is famous and made from curly maple used by Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton and was a famous long-rifle the frontiersmen had around the Ft. Pitt area back in the 1780's?

I used to have a website where you could order them hand made. Let me know if you are familiar with that type. They have a octagon barrel and are of the flintlock design.

Not sure but I have the book The Frontiersman, it is about Simon Kenton, I don't remember if it gave a specific rifle that he used, I'll look to see

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Simon Kenton's rifle was made by Henry Leman of Lancaster.
A Pennsylvania flintlock with a 40 inch octagonal barrel with a curly maple stock decorated with an 8 point star and a crescent moon in brass.
According to the Frontiersmen.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Leman rifle were sometimes called an Indian trade rifle.Leman Rifle often had a faux curly maple finish,Stripes are painted with diluted stain or ink,using an artists brush not burned in,which gave the stock a tiger stripe effect.

Rifle 1
Rifle 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts