The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well actually two questions.

1. What is involved in “combination” registering your truck to pull a trailer over 10k. can I register a gmc 2500hd to be legal pulling a 14k gvw trailer?

2. This one I’ve never been given a straight answer on even from the “dmv”. What license is required to pull a trailer over 10k when the combo is under 26000. I know that sounds odd but a regular “class c” license says combo under 26k w/ trailer less than 10k, class be is single or combo over 26 w/ trailer under 10, and a class a is over 26k with a trailer over 10k. They act like a truck and trailer with a combined gave under 26k but with the trailer over 10k doesn’t happen, but is does every day. My BIL alone has three 10k plus trailers that he pulls with a one ton dually that is combo registered to 21k. He has a class a commercial license so he can drive about anything other than a tanker. There are tons of fifth wheel campers and horse trailers on the road every day and I know almost none of the drivers have a class a license. I’ve been told lots of different answers but none were able to be verified by any document. I’ve even been given contradictory answers from two state cops.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Class A drivers license you can operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26k or more., providing the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10k.

Class B drivers license any single vehicle with a GVW of 26001 or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVW of NOT more than 10k.

And the registration on your 3/4 ton would need to be a class #5 11000-14000 at 243.00 a year.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Class A drivers license you can operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26k or more., providing the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10k.

Class B drivers license any single vehicle with a GVW of 26001 or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVW of NOT more than 10k.

And the registration on your 3/4 ton would need to be a class #5 11000-14000 at 243.00 a year.
thanks for the class 5 info. As for the licensing both a and b are for over 26,001. I cannot find any info for less than 26,000 but a trailer over 10,000. I did see however that the back of a “regular” drivers license no longer says trailers under 10k so maybe as long as the combo is under 26,001 no other license is required. I just want to see it in some type of official document not just speculation so I have something to fall back on if I get stopped.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just some more info.

Class 5 is $323 per year and is the vehicle gross weight of 11,001 - 14,000. Thats the GVW not the Gross vehicle combined weight of truck and trailer. I would go to a CAT scale and weigh your truck with the trailer hooked up to figure out where your GVW will fall and register accordingly.

I registered my F350 as class 4B because even when loaded up and towing my camper my truck + payload + tongue weight of the camper wont be above the 11K GVW.

Schedule of Fees
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Forms/MV-70S.pdf

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
If you are doing this for pleasure the rules are different.
Towing personal boats or toy haulers are not required to have med cards or CDLs

All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,000 pounds (4,536 kilograms) are required to obtain and maintain a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (ME Certificate) Commercial drivers who drive vehicles requiring a CDL have two additional requirements.

We require all our operators to have a A lic, and they need yearly physicals with random drug screens to meet DOT/ICC regs.
We routinely have trailer equipment over the 10K limit on F-350 trucks.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just some more info.

Class 5 is $323 per year and is the vehicle gross weight of 11,001 - 14,000. Thats the GVW not the Gross vehicle combined weight of truck and trailer. I would go to a CAT scale and weigh your truck with the trailer hooked up to figure out where your GVW will fall and register accordingly.

I registered my F350 as class 4B because even when loaded up and towing my camper my truck + payload + tongue weight of the camper wont be above the 11K GVW.

Schedule of Fees
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Forms/MV-70S.pdf
I was questioning that also. I don’t think 4b or 5 is going to work. The kicker here is the trailer gvw over 10k. As I read the rules any vehicle pulling a trailer over 10k has to be combo registered unless the towing vehicle weighs more than the trailer gvw

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are doing this for pleasure the rules are different.
Towing personal boats or toy haulers are not required to have med cards or CDLs

All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,000 pounds (4,536 kilograms) are required to obtain and maintain a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (ME Certificate) Commercial drivers who drive vehicles requiring a CDL have two additional requirements.

We require all our operators to have a A lic, and they need yearly physicals with random drug screens to meet DOT/ICC regs.
We routinely have trailer equipment over the 10K limit on F-350 trucks.
that’s another issue. Commercial vs pleasure. Years ago after that family was killed by a loose trailer in butler we had a meeting with the psp trailer task force at a state vehicle inspectors meeting. The psp allowed questions at the end. One guy asked about weigh stations and who had to pull in. We were told commercial trucks. Someone asked about horse trailers and was told if you are taking a horse to a vet or home from buying it you are pleasure if you are going anywhere to compete and could win even a ribbon you are commercial. He said the same applies to hauling things like tractors or trucks.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the fee schedule I think I’d have to end up at class 7 or 8. I have access to a 14k trailer I’d like to be able to use. The horse trailer I’m looking to pull is 12k gvw. Gvw on my truck is 9200 on the door so that is over 21k with the horse trailer so I’d be looking at 21,001-26000 class 8

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Where did you see it needed to be registered as a combination. I can't seem to find that? I saw seperate registration for 10k+ lb trailers. I am a AAA member and I find it easier to sort these questions out with them versus someone a penndot since AAA handles registration of vehicles and trailers.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you see it needed to be registered as a combination. I can't seem to find that? I saw seperate registration for 10k+ lb trailers. I am a AAA member and I find it easier to sort these questions out with them versus someone a penndot since AAA handles registration of vehicles and trailers.
the truckers handbook I guess. Google searched for combined registration.

No truck, when operated on a public highway, can exceed the maximum gross weights listed below. A combination registration is required for a towing vehicle when the trailer is registered in excess of 10,000 pounds and the cumulative weight of both vehicles exceeds the registered weight of the towing vehicle.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
the truckers handbook I guess. Google searched for combined registration.

No truck, when operated on a public highway, can exceed the maximum gross weights listed below. A combination registration is required for a towing vehicle when the trailer is registered in excess of 10,000 pounds and the cumulative weight of both vehicles exceeds the registered weight of the towing vehicle.
Interesting. I would be curious to know if that applies to just commercial vehicles or pleasure as well. If it is required for both my guess would be that the majority of the travel trailers, toy haulers and 5ver's going down the road I bet a majority aren't registered in combination.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts

I have a 3/4 ton Ram and tow an 11k lb gooseneck horse trailer when it's loaded.I do pay for the class #5 registration.Am I legal because I've been told all kinds of thing but to date,have never been bothered?

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have a 3/4 ton Ram and tow an 11k lb gooseneck horse trailer when it's loaded.I do pay for the class #5 registration.Am I legal because I've been told all kinds of thing but to date,have never been bothered?
that’s basically the same boat I’m in. The way I read things you are not because the trailer is over 10k. You may be OK if it is considered recreational but as I posted earlier if you are able to win even a ribbon at a horse show it can be seen as for profit and therefore commercial.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
Fullfan would know the answer.We run for money and do well but there's certainly no profit in what we do lol.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fullfan would know the answer.We run for money and do well but there's certainly no profit in what we do lol.
from what I gather they don’t care about real profit just “income” like I said even a ribbon makes it commercial. With the clip I posted about trailers over ten thousand class 5 isn’t enough even though your truck wouldn’t be over weight including tinge weight from a max loaded trailer. The weight class vs combo should be able to be answered but I always get a run around. The license question I never can get a real answer for from anyone dmv, insp station, truckers, psp no one.

This kind of thing should be straight forward but for some reason it’s all b.s.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I have a buddy who's a motor carrier enforcement officer with the PSP and he couldn't give me a strait answer.Pretty sure fullfan would know the answer though.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PENNSYLVANIA
A Class A license allows a license holder to operate any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed has a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs. The holder of a Class A license can also drive Class B and Class C vehicles.

A Class B license allows a license holder to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less. The holder of a Class B license can also drive Class C vehicles.

A Class C license allows a license holder to operate any vehicle, or combination of vehicles 26,000 lbs. or less, or any combinations of vehicles, except combinations of vehicles involving motorcycles that does not meet the definition of either Class A or Class B.

A Class M license allows a license holder to operate a motorcycle.

I just found this on AAA‘s website it seems that as long as your combination is under 26,000 you don’t need any special license. So if that is accurate that answers half of my question. I wasn’t going to bother up classing my truck if my wife couldn’t pull the trailer legally anyway without some special license, I have a class B so I was covered as far as A medical card goes.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
. Someone asked about horse trailers and was told if you are taking a horse to a vet or home from buying it you are pleasure if you are going anywhere to compete and could win even a ribbon you are commercial. He said the same applies to hauling things like tractors or trucks.

I'm not buying that where in title 75 does it state that, section and sub section...
And what is the PSP trailer task force?? Spent 25 years as a Trooper and never heard of that one.

I'm not back to work until next week, I do not have a current title 75 here at home. And just FYI I have a Ram 3500 registered
class three and tow a 40' 15k fifth wheel camper and do not loose any sleep.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts