The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I carry your gun for you? Or maybe clean your game?

I love your pics and it shows the birds are out there!

P.S. If you need me to carry your lunch around on Turkey Day- let me know- I'll be north of I-80 somewhere!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I say to myself every time I see his pics......must be nice to be DAP. He sure is livin.

I think there would be a long line of people willing to carry his stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
It's nice to have 5 weeks vacation with a wife, family and employer who put up with me taking nearly all of it for grouse hunting. A good camera helps as well.

(Added note: I have found that i-phones take much better
photos than I ever expected. Six of this year's pictures came from cell phone snapshots.)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
dap said:
(Added note: I have found that i-phones take much better than photos than I ever expected. Six of this year's pictures came from cell phone snapshots.)
Concur completely, clean the camera glass, hit HDR, focus and shoot which does offer some solace for me with a 80-200mm 2.8 with a motor that needs fixed.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Who is Dap? A man? A legend? Or just some spirit who walks the PA grouse woods....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Doug knows the ANF area and just about everything that has happened there for the last 50 year probably as well as anyone.

With his Setter Jackson, and his little Remington 31 16G he is a Grouse killing machine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Doug...maybe if you start carrying a sxs you may become a serious grouse hunter some day!!! Congrats on a good season so far.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If the little "31" makes it too easy he could always step up to a hammergun

Just kidding. Enjoy the pics. Brings back memories of hunts before my aging legs turned me into a woodcock hunter.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Grey Phase said:
. Brings back memories of hunts before my aging legs turned me into a woodcock hunter.
Well Rick, if you need someone to mind your old grouse coverts just let me know..

very much just kidding, I enjoy your blog postings to much for you to retire completely.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Barberry said:
Doug...maybe if you start carrying a sxs you may become a serious grouse hunter some day!!! Congrats on a good season so far.
I did carry a Flues SxS last year. I even killed a few birds with it. I gave up carrying it after missing 20 consecutive grouse. That's not 20 shots mind you, but shooting at 20 different birds (and mostly 2 shots). The 31L 16 gauge at just under 5 1/2 pounds suits me quite fine.

And just to set the record straight, I can't hold a candle to Barberry in his knowledge of different places to find large numbers of grouse. His dedication to scouting out new places year round astounds me. Nor can I come close to CountyNate and his ability to kill grouse. He knows where in a cover the grouse are going to be and most of the birds that fly in front of him end up riding home with him.

Those 2 guys are my grouse heroes, and are what I want to be when I grow up.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
The one "handful of tail feathers" pic is from Michigan. All of the other pictures of Ruffed Grouse are PA birds. There are 2 tailgate pics showing 2 birds in which I only killed one of the birds.

None of the Sharptail Grouse are PA birds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts