The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have nothing against them.

But my question is to the people that just started archery hunting and decided to pick up a crossbow. So here it is...

Did you ever want to try a longbow? What made you chose? And did you only come into archery becuase of the crossbow?

(this <u>IS NOT</u> a question for someone with shoulder problems or anything of that nature. I understand you can't pull a bow back, like I said earlier, I'm not against crossbows.)

·
Registered
364 Posts
bobby2bears said:
Maybe they just want to make a clean kill as ethically as they can.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I never hunted with a bow because I couldn't get good enough to be sure I would kill a deer if I shot it. The last thing I want to do is stick an arrow in a deer's guts or other non-lethal part and it die a long miserable death. So, the crossbow gives me the tool to make good clean shots (with some practice). Haven't purchase the bow yet, but I will before spring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I own a compound bow that has a 40lbs draw weight. I purchased a re-curve crossbow with a 175lbs draw weight for the new Bear Archery Season. I also thought it might be fun for Turkey hunting. The ability to shoot without drawing in the presence of the animal is helpful for a Turkey hunt. The extra power without the heavy draw weight is great for the range and big game hunting. I have a much flatter and more consistent trajectory inside of 40 yards with my crossbow than my compound bow. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with, and I would recommend a crossbow to anyone who wants to go after Turkeys.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
it can be with any weapon that lets a deer die slowly with a bad shot from a bullet, arrow or roundball........bob

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I've hunted with a recurve and compound bow for over 50 years and took my share of deer with them,and the crossbow is just a chance to try something different.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Bull Lifter said:

But my question is to the people that just started archery hunting and decided to pick up a crossbow. So here it is...

Did you ever want to try a longbow? What made you chose? And did you only come into archery becuase of the crossbow?

(this IS NOT a question for someone with shoulder problems or anything of that nature. I understand you can't pull a bow back, like I said earlier, I'm not against crossbows.)
Well I archery hunter before crossbows, but i will add this perspective.

I got gadgeted out of using my Compound, spending $100+ annually to keep my bow current, new rest, carbon arrows....only to develop some target panic From what I believe was all those gadgets, so i went to instinctive recurve for 2 or 3 years before crossbows became legal and had a blast shooting it, and although I loved the lore of carrying a beautiful peice of wood and traditional style turkey feathered arrows around the woods, and was practicing regularly then and hitting a water bottle just tossed around the yard nicely..in the woods I limited my self to 20 and under and even then I would not say I was confident a hit deer would die in the confines of my property that is only 300 yards wide and surrounded by heavily posted land. Truthfully after doing all the homework and prep I had to let some nice deer walk in the 25-30 yard range, it was frustrating to say the least and hard to justify leaving everyone else at home on Saturdays so I could go do that. I never got a shot in my 20 yard cricle in 3 years even at does. I got the first crossbow so my 12 yo could hunt archery with me, but it did not take long for me to realize that these crossbows were the perfect answer for our property so i jumped full in and got another...as seen in my other post here, 7 deer in 3 years, by 3 hunters 8-43yo, including my biggest buck ever, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY all died within 25 yards of impact and well inside our line (in fact in 18 deer kills + 1 bear kill in 5yrs with all weapons we have never left our place to recover one, ever, I am proud of that and my hunters for getting it done that way)....I did not expect them to change the game as much as they did for us, but it has been the best hunting decision I have made as a hunting Dad and small property owner so far, NO DOUBT.

I got 3 new arhery season hunters in my house now, all becasue of the crossbow and all have very varied time to hunt and practice. But all want too... Good problem to have and has taken alot of the pressure of making time for all my willing hunters off of me by adding so many extra days to our collective calendars.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
A crossbow just fits my needs the best. I still use a compound when I'm able to, which isn't very often at this stage of my life.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Bull Lifter said:

(this IS NOT a question for someone with shoulder problems or anything of that nature. I understand you can't pull a bow back, like I said earlier, I'm not against crossbows.)
We just bought a crossbow for my father. It's a switch over from a compound. He is in great shape, and has no problem shooting a compound. I talked him into a crossbow because it's so much easier. It is so well balanced and easy to see through the scope at dusk (when it's impossible to see through a peep) with bright red or green dots that light up at the turn of a dial. He can add additional yards to his effective range.

I still have a compound, but my next purchase will most likely be a crossbow. I am so amazed how easy they are to shoot. My brother's girlfriend never shot any type of bow in her life. Christmas morning when my father got his crossbow, we let her shoot it off hand at 20 yards. She was just an inch or so from the bullseye on her very first shot. Pretty remarkable if you ask me. I would bet the house she wouldn't have even hit the target with a compound, long bow, or recurve.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
I've hunted with a recurve and compound bow for over 50 years and took my share of deer with them,and the crossbow is just a chance to try something different.
I agree...i started shooting in 1971 bear recurve and killed quite a few deer ,then the compound killed even more deer...and then the xbow made it alot funnier and kept me in the game when,i was going to get out of it...Russ

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Have archery hunted with compounds for 25 years. Gave the crossbow a whirl to just learn more about them. Fell in love with the concept and it has become my primary archery tool.

·
Registered
423 Posts
killed 38 with the compound bow over the years, started selling crossbows and thought that I better have some experience with one if people are going to buy from me. I shot two doe and a buck last year with the crossbow and the same this year and then got the urge to use the compound again and used my final tag with the compound bow. I like to go with the crossbow early in the season as my business is crazy right before the start of archery season and I don't get the time to shoot the compound the way I feel I should if I am going to hunt with it. Once the season progresses and things slow down at the shop I have a little more time to shoot the compound and then take it out.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Shot many deer with a compound and stayed with the times on technology, but thought XBows would be a better way to go for me for many reasons. Bought the XBow and 3 months later at 48 had a quad bypass heart surgery with 2 heart attacks made this decision even better. 2 months after my health issues, i shot 3 deer including my best buck without issues. Better accuracy out of the box with limited practice shooting time made a good choice looking back. I am all about traditions (shoot my flinter often), but you cant argue with XBows and quick learning curves and better accuracy out of the box for humane kills.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I used to hunt alot with the vertical bow, but with some changes in work I never had the time for the last 5 or 6 years. I was out of archery hunting all together. Well another change a little over a year ago in work allowed me to archery hunt again. I would have probably went back to the vertical bow, but with my son starting to hunt I decided to go the crossbow route for him. At 8 years old he wouldn't be able to draw back enough weight in a vertical bow in order to meet the minimum. A crossbow allows him alot more hunting opportunities. This by far was the best archery season that I have enjoyed. I really enjoy them and don't see me ever going back to the vertical bow. You can go to this thread to see some pics about why we enjoy them.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2427490#Post2427490

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll throw in my response.

----Thanks guys for the answers "because I can" or "because thats what I choose." really answering the question why you chose, or why can you. real class.

Thanks everyone else for posting. I see everyones angle. Basically what I understand and read out of it for the most part everyone agrees on it's easier. easy to shoot. easy to aim. easy for young kids people to get involved in the outdoors. overall around good for the sport, making things easier and keeping some still in the game of the passion they love.

I do disagree with the humane kill idea. It's just as easy to mess up a shot with a crossbow. just as it is with a longbow. And or a rifle for that matter. Matter a fact i think the Gun season is worse then any other season we have for wounds...getting off topic.

Back on topic now. I can't agrue with anyone though with the out of the box accuracy. but you can't agrue with me when it reminds you have a gun style accuracy to it.

All I wanted to know was why. I belive I got it. Thanks.

For the record. I used a crossbow(my father uses one so we had two at the time) and hunted in ohio and WOUNDED at 20 yards which woulda been my biggest buck ever, the deer started moving he was chasing. Thats why I made a bad hit,But regardless I switched back to my compound from that experience. I have way more confidence in my compound then a crossbow.

Now would I have messed up with my compound? Simple answer. Sure.

I just wondered if anyone else might have that, "i had a bad experience with a compound so i switched to a compound."

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Easier to shoot with less practice. Not easier to hunt with. Hunting is hunting. And I would not say gun style accuracy for a crossbow anymore than I would a compound bow. I hunt with a long bow, a compound, and a crossbow depending on which part of the season it is, and how much time I have to practice. I have killed and missed deer with each. The effective range changes for none of them, and when I have the time to practice one is as accurate as the next.

To each his own. As long as we are out enjoying these great Pennsylvania outdoors feel free to carry what you are comfortable with. Happy Hunting!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts