The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about doing some trapping next season, I have looked at many youtube video's, but had a question.

1. living in the harrisburg area, where could i send skins to get tanned?

·
Registered
749 Posts
buckmasters243 said:
If its wallhangers it doesn't really matter.
may not to you but it does to me, a soft supple wall hanger looks alot better than a home tanned pelt hanging....a home tanned pelt will still have that stretcher look to it somewhat....and when someone comes and looks at it and they touch it or hold it ,it just represents the animal better...IMO

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Callmaker-
Something I really should of pointed out that other members have already. If you use Krowtann 2000 you will have to either break the hide yourself or use a softning cream. If you just plan on hanging the hide on the wall then yeah it prob won't matter to much, but if you want to sleep with it or say maybe drape it over a chair it will need to be worked. I've done a coyote, fox and a bobcat with Krowtann 2000 and the only difficulty in the entire process is breaking the hide. IMO the price of the krowtann, the satisfaction of doing it yourself and the option of tanning it exactly how you want out weigh the price it is to have it sent away to tan ( IMO ).

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Here is a finished product from using crow tan:
[img:center]

Only areas is hair pulling are behind the ears. You can see a small spot in the pic. I left it to dry hair out, hair in, then hair out. Well, I left it to dry hair in to long and I had some slight slipping. Learning experience.

Here is a view of what it looks like when you breaking the hide. The darker colors are were the hide needs to be broken more. The white looking areas are the soft, plush leather everybody knows and loves. You can get it, but it just takes some elbow grease.
[img:center]

The better you flesh it the better it will be.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Not a problem. Glad to help. If you have anymore questions about how I did it or anymore tips and tricks. Just send me a PM.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ACEarcher said:
Not a problem. Glad to help. If you have anymore questions about how I did it or anymore tips and tricks. Just send me a PM.
will do, thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts