The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my daughter a H&R Handi Rifle youth 223 and just took it to the range for the first time today. I shot several shots at 25 yards and got it so I was hitting about 2" high. I moved a target out to 100 yards (only able to shoot 25 & 100 yards at this range). I took 3 more shots and did not even touch the target (standard size target). I did not have time or larger targets to try to find out where i has hitting. Im shooting 55gr bullets. Any idea if the bullets are hitting high? Also why would it be that far off between 25 and 100 yards?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You need to sight in a little low at 25 yards to be close at 100. Remember that that bullet started about 1 1/2 inch below line of sight. So in 25 yards you have it rising 3 1/2 inches. It's most likely 10-12 inches high now at 100.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
When I have a new scope on a rifle I use the poor mans bore sighter. I place the gun on a rest and place that on my kitchen table. I measure the distance from the center of the barrel to the center of my scope. I then find a fixed point on the wall about 15' away. I look through the barrel and adjust my rest so that fixed point is in the middle of the barrel. Keeping the barrel locked on that point, I the adjust me crosshairs above that fixed point the same distance as the measurement I took earlier.

Usually I'm on paper at 100 yards and only needs few minor adjustments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.