The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The department of Ag has nothing to do with selling mounts. All they do is sell the permt to be a taxidermist. This has been covered many times here. See the law below and not the bolded words. If you do not meet one of the two conditions you may not sell them.

(a) Wildlife lawfully taken within this Commonwealth that has been mounted, tanned or completely prepared for study or display in accordance with generally accepted taxidermy procedures may be sold if one of the following conditions is met:
(1) The original owner is deceased.

(2) The original owner’s assets are being liquidated.
(3) The original owner’s specimen is determined to be unclaimed as provided for in subsection (b).

(b) A specimen will be considered unclaimed when the following conditions are met:

(1) The specimen was lawfully possessed when originally deposited with the taxidermist.

(2) The specimen was mounted, tanned or completely prepared for study or display in accordance with generally accepted taxidermy procedures.

(3) The taxidermist has made a reasonable effort to contact the original owner or depositor through any means generally available to inform the owner or depositor that the specimen is complete and should be picked up within a certain time period.

(4) The owner, or the original depositor of the specimen, has been notified by certified, first-class mail and has failed to contact the taxidermist within 30 days of receipt of the notice; or the taxidermist is notified by the postal authorities the certified mail is unclaimed or undeliverable. The specimen will be considered unclaimed after 30 days from the date the taxidermist was notified.

(, a pc) Before selling a specimenermit shall be obtained from a Commission officer. (d) An executed copy of the permit application (PGC-12) shall list the items to be sold. The permit is valid for 120 days.

(e) The fee for a permit issued under this section is $5.

(f) The original owner of a specimen may donate the specimen to a wildlife conservation organization, which may then sell the specimen without a permit for fund raising purposes.

(g) Second and subsequent owners of wildlife parts acquired in accordance with section 2312(c)(1) of the act (relating to buying and selling of game) may sell the parts if included as part of a manufactured or finished product.

(h) Second and subsequent owners of deer hides acquired in accordance with section 2312(c)(1) of the act may buy and sell the deer hides. Deer capes may only be sold by the original owner.

(i) A person violating this section shall be subject to the penalties provided in section 2312 of the act.

Authority

The provisions of this § 147.146 issued under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 2102(a) and 2312(c)(2); amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 2102(a), 2312(c)(2) and 2901(b).

Source

The provisions of this § 147.146 adopted November 2, 2001, effective November 3, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 6052; amended March 23, 2007, effective March 24, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 1312. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (285093) to (285094).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.

This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply

So if the animal was taken outside of the commonwealth, it is legal to sell?

If I have a squirrel or deer mount from West Virginia, I can sell it on ebay without the taxidermy permit from the Dept. of Agriculture?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The dept of Ag has nothing at all to do with anything except to issue permits to practice taxidermy. All laws revelant to wildlife are the pervue of the PGC. You may sell mounted animals taken in W.VA without the need of a permit from the PGC or anyone else. However, the PGC does watch e-bay for unlawful sales so it would be good if you had some kind of proof of where and when they were taken. I know you probably don't but if questioned it wold make life easier.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Just a tip for folks.
It's good practice to staple the tag/license to the back of any mount. You can remove them when you sell them. But should anyone ever question "proof" it is right there with the mount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hodgen said:
Just a tip for folks.
It's good practice to staple the tag/license to the back of any mount. You can remove them when you sell them. But should anyone ever question "proof" it is right there with the mount.
I asked the taxi to save my tag and to put it on the back of the mount for me. He said he was not allowed to and had to turn it into the PGC.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
easterndog said:
Hodgen said:
Just a tip for folks.
I asked the taxi to save my tag and to put it on the back of the mount for me. He said he was not allowed to and had to turn it into the PGC.
Your taxidermist was not being entirely truthful with you. As John S will attest, the PGC never required taxidermists to "turn in" deer tags. A few of us would keep them for local WCO's to assist in field reports (I can't remember the report number) but that was it---strictly voluntary.
I will say that a lot of taxidermists are reluctant to hand tags back to hunters simply because, in some cases, that same tag will come back into the studio in another week attached to a different deer. I've seen it happen.
Hard for that to happen anymore as taxidermists are required, by the Dept. of Ag and before them by the PGC, to keep pretty detailed info including tag number and location (township) of kill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I asked him to put it on the mount not to give it back to me. He won't get any more of my bussiness then if I ever decided to have another animal mounted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts