The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thank you for reading this and maybe you can help- was up at camp over the weekend and where i place some of my lumber for projects i found 3 buck rubs- sorry i did not take pictures - but anyway they were not there at the first week of buck because i would have seen them- i used my lumber that week and the rubs are right there- do bucks rub at this time also? i always thought in the fall- am i wrong in my thinking?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
They will rub as long as they have antlers...maybe even when they dont(dont know about that but they may as they would still leave their.scent).

I found a rub a week or so ago..i know it was fresh as the shavings were ontop of the snow....

They are most prone through the pre-rut.and the rut though...

But after rifle season there is does that come in estrus..and other bucks are gone to hunters and bucks may move in and leave their mark on their new area...and ive seen them rub out of what looked like sheer frustration while dogging a doe that wasnt ready...

Probably wrong on a lot of my guesses...but thats what.i have noticed...

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
My buddy just texted me a pic today of a massive rub he found, that was not there last week.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Funny you posted this.I found a new rub with shavings on top of the snow Saturday while muzzleloader hunting.Not sure I ever remember finding a new rub this late.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought it was kinda strange that i even found one -not 3 rubs- so i threw the question out there- i am glad other people are finding them also

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Are you sure it was a rub and not a critter (like a porky) stripping bark?

But as rubs can be a form of communication, i.e. leave the orbital scent, no reason why a buck won't do it as long as he's got them.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
A lot of yearling does come into estrous late. I usually always see rubs this time of year. Ironic, in Ohio 2010 on Jan. 17th. I watched a bruiser tear up a tree.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The yearling does came into estrus in November. This year's fawns would come into estrus this late if they acheived enough size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts