The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son-in-law is in the marines and wants to do some deer hunting with me this season,does anyone know if he would still need to take the hunter safety course or would he be excempt.i don`t know if the court house will issue him one without the saftey course.

thanks

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
1 cam man said:
my son-in-law is in the marines and wants to do some deer hunting with me this season,does anyone know if he would still need to take the hunter safety course or would he be excempt.i don`t know if the court house will issue him one without the saftey course.

thanks
He would be exempt from the Hunter Education requirements. See applicable Title 34 code below.

Sec. 2704. Eligibility for license.
(b) Hunter education. - Persons who have not held a hunting license lawfully issued to them in this Commonwealth or another state or nation or have not hunted under the exceptions in section 2706 (relating to resident license and fee exemptions) or do not possess a certificate of training approved by the director prior to the enactment of this title shall be required to attain accreditation in a hunter education program approved by the director before a hunting license is issued to them. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a person who presents:
(2) Evidence that the person is currently serving in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Bluetick said:
Good post! Never knew that.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/page91.pdf
Training Certificate— Hunting: Persons who
have not held a hunting license issued in Pennsylvania
or another state or nation, or do not possess
a training certificate, are required to attain
certification in an accredited hunter-trapper education
program before applying for a hunting license.
These provisions do not apply to a person
presenting: 1) evidence of service in the U.S.
Armed Forces, including the Coast Guard and
honorable discharge or separation within six
months of the application, or 2) evidence the
person is currently serving in the Armed Forces

Bluetick....

NOT Busting on you...

It just amazes me when guys say they never knew that or ask WERE did you find that.....

All in Black and White, located in amoung the pictures!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I completely disagree with this. I think they should take the course regardless. I have known a couple military men I wouldn't trust with safety. Knows nothing about hunting.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
You may feel diffently if you served and were stationed overseas or another state.It would be impossible for an active service member to take the HTE course.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a question...

Did you all know that this same exact post is running simultaneously in the General Hunting Forum? .. under the same title? I'm confused.

The posts were started 6 minutes apart. I don't know what they were hoping for, but they got the same answer in both Forums.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would be for having the Hunter Ed Card, Drake is right there are a few that I would not take to the woods let alone carry a weapon. With that said I have been through the course twice once as a kid and once with a kid not too long ago, great course to resit through even for us know it all old folks.

An online course would help in the situation of a deployed service member however, Every base I have been stationed at had a course for that State done through the Morale Welfare and Rec Department or at very least a point of contact. so no excuse for not doing that part.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
RetNavySCPO said:
I would be for having the Hunter Ed Card, Drake is right there are a few that I would not take to the woods let alone carry a weapon. With that said I have been through the course twice once as a kid and once with a kid not too long ago, great course to resit through even for us know it all old folks.

An online course would help in the situation of a deployed service member however, Every base I have been stationed at had a course for that State done through the Morale Welfare and Rec Department or at very least a point of contact. so no excuse for not doing that part.
Nothing against our fine military men and women. But IMO just because you are trained as a soldier doesn't mean you know hunting ethics or safety.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
I apologize if I was incorrect but to have some service active in this country's military denied a license would be a crime to me.Go take a chance and possibly die but you can't hunt?An online course may help with that.I have met my share of gung ho soldiers by the way.Our government/military made them gung ho and they are the guys not afraid to fight for us.Personally I would hunt with them before hunting with a guy that served during Vietnam behind a desk in California.I watch others while hunting anyhow.I would not trust one person on this site without watching them while hunting.You could be the most perfect.safest hunter alive and if you are hunting with me I watch your actions and your gun.If you hunt with an unsafe military member correct them so they know.You will be fine if you do that.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do you want to tell someone who just came back from Afganistan and whose buddies got him interested in trying to hunt that they cannot buy a license until they passed a hunter ed class? I wouldn't. If we can have 5 year old kids hunting without taking a course we can surely make an exception for an adult who put themselves in harms way for their country.

·
Administrator
39,059 Posts
John S said:
Do you want to tell someone who just came back from Afganistan and whose buddies got him interested in trying to hunt that they cannot buy a license until they passed a hunter ed class? I wouldn't. If we can have 5 year old kids hunting without taking a course we can surely make an exception for an adult who put themselves in harms way for their country.
Amen to that John!

·
Registered
240 Posts
May I make a suggestion? I'd like to combine John's two thoughts...

If you don't like the idea of one of our servicemen or women going out hunting in PA without having taken a certified HTE Course - Mentor a Service Member. Take a Soldier, Sailor or Marine hunting. It would be good for them and good for you. Get involved! Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have no problem hunting with service members. I hunt with 3 vietnam vets. I just think everyone should be required to have Hunting safety class. But hey the law is the law. If they can get away with it then whatever. I would mentor a vet. I have a vet that would like to hunt. I just won't take him because he feels he doesn't need to buy a hunting license to hunt Gods creatures. I won't be apart of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts