The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt coyotes - but I do not keep them for their fur.

I hate to see a critter go to waste - but I am not set up (nor do I want to be) - to process furs.

I was talking to an experienced coyote trapper last night - and offered to give him any coyotes I shoot during the winter when their furs are Prime.

I mentioned that I will deliver the entire frozen carcuss to him.

He told me, that unless I deliver just the fur - then he is not interested.

Reason - he said their belly contents/area ROT UP very quickly and will adversly affect the skin in that area. Even if the yote is gutted but not skinned.

He went to explain that a fur buyer will look at that belly section (surrounding area) and if it is "green from belly rot" he will offer nothing for it..

I do not doubt what he said.

But I would like to hear other's comments, experiences about this matter.

Looks like I am going to have to learn how to skin a yote.
Call me nuts (or a Nancy) but I am a bit squeamish of the thought of knifing into a critter that looks like someone's stinky German Shepard pet dog - I have to get over that mental hump.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
hogwash ..... unless it is early caught with warmer weather , fox left laying around get a little green , but if the animal is frozen or left to lay in cold weather you will have no such issues

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
If you have to shoot them, skin them and deliver them eliminate the middleman and sell them to the fur guy yourself.

·
Registered
991 Posts
There's a difference between green belly and rot. Muskrats are famous for green belly's. Bottom line is green belly is no big deal and you will not loose money because of it.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Hogwash is right.

I've had many many canines with green belly. Borax, 50/50 bleach water, or hydrogen peroxide will get rid of it almost immediately if you can't stand the smell.
It gets scraped off when fleshed anyway.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys.

It's not like I shoot that many yotes(wishful thinking).

I am going to read up on the proper skinning technique and give it a try. (I will put a mask of the neighbor's cat over the dead yotes head - to overcome my German Shepherd phobia) - haha

IF ANYONE wants any furs that I MAY COLLECT - PM me your name & snail mail address and I will ship to you in a USPS
box free of charge.

Don't plan on retiring early from this offer - the Coyotes in my neck of the woods are much smarter than I am.

Thanks Again for info.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Grey fox can belly rot real quick, especially if shot with a shotgun in the chest and stomach. But they won't if they are frozen or kept cold. I have never had near the problem with it happening to coyotes though. If it is just simply a green belly, then just like these guys said.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My experience with green belly was when I shot a fox headon and a pellot that cut into gut.
then you had to skin quick to keep belly fur from slipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts