The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this might be a stupid question but I just acquired a 3 acre plot of land to hunt that has almost no trees for a stand. I decided to retire the compound bow and buy a crossbow because the plot of land is loaded with deer and I just keep getting busted trying to draw a bow. The question I have is once you cock the crossbow it's ready to fire but at the end of the hunt how do you uncock the bow if you don't shoot at a deer???

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
carry a target in your truck, or shoot a junk bolt into the ground

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
You must shoot it to unload it with the exception of a very few bows. Excaliburs being one of them.

Buy a cheap bag target and shoot a field tipped arrow into it when the hunt is over. Sometimes, if I am hunting till dark, I will shoot my junk arrow into the ground. I just don't like carrying a cocked crossbow around for very long. Something about those limbs and the power in them that makes me cautious.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Keep a field point on one of your arrows in the quiver. After the days hunt fire the field point into the ground or a portable target that might be kept at camp or your vehichle. Some crossbows are designed that they can be decocked. Do<u> NOT</u> dry fire a crossbow !!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I had an old 3d bear target that was toast,I carry the head in the bed of my truck and at the end of the day I shoot an old arrow into it.SIMPLE.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I kind of thought that I would have to just shoot it like my muzzle loader!! I'm not really into messing w a loaded crossbow but it is what it is....

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
I shot mine into the ground the first time I decocked it and it went right into a tree root, had one heck of a time getting it out, it was aluminum and bent it all out of sorts. I still use it though.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I picked up that bag target from Wal Mart for a whopping 25 bucks to shoot down my xbow into. Carry it in the truck. Beats wrecking arrows when you shoot one into a tree root...

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had the same question a while back and someone on here recommended a Yellow Jacket discharge target. Picked on up at Dunhams for $20 and it works great. It is real small and easy to take with you without taking a bunch of space in your car/truck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you use an arrow to unload into the ground on a regular basis be sure to check it out after each time. If the nock is chipped or the arrow bent it could cause a dry fire type of accident.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts