The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting another rifle, which gives much happiness to the W 1 FE unit, but that is beside the point. What I am looking at are three calibers: .45-70, .444 Marlin, and .450 Marlin. I will probably purchase one of Marlin's 1895 models. Any thoughts as to which would be best? So far, the biggest difference seems to be the cost for rounds, with the two Marlin calibers being over $30/box and the .45-70 being in the $22/box range.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'd go .45-70. you can load it mild to wild. If you're not really into reloading, you can buy the lee kits for like $25 and they have everything you need to load rounds individualy. Really neat and fun to do. It's the most versatile of the three as well as most readily available. When I first started hunting, I was torn between a .280rem and a .30-06. My friend told me, "if you make it up to camp and forget your ammunition at home, which caliber do you think your friends or the local store will have?" I went with the .30-06.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
George, I bought a Marlin 45-70 1895 Guide gun from a member on this website. It really shoots well. I just bought some Hornady Leverevolution ammo for it which I haven tried yet but the man I bought it from had it sighted in for it. I have shot Rem soft nose and Win hollow points through it and they are right on the money. I am going to use it in deer season this year even though it is a bit of overkill. I bought it mainly for Hogs and in case I ever get lucky and draw an elk tag, that and I always wanted one.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your last given reason is more than enough for me, John. I'm not sure my W 1 FE unit will agree, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Me maybe, but not her.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The .450 does no more than a properly loaded .45-70 and the .444 can't do as much as the other two. Go 45-70.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
my uncle has a marlin 1895 in the 450marlin he like the gun and the round but wishes he had gone with the 45-70 now main reason being cost of ammo and limited ammo to choose from in the 450

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I would go with the 45/70 Govt. you can tailor your loads any way you want.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yinz guys confirmed my thinking on the subject. I will go with the old .45-70.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
George, I have a 45/70 H&R Buffalo Classic and wouldn`t trade it for anything in the world!! So versitile, it`s silly. next 45/70 will be a Trapdoor or Marlin 45/70 Cowboy with the octagon 26 inch barrel, probably used though as they are really over priced now. Of course the Trapdoor will be over 100 years old

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's to justify? If you want it, that is justification enough, right? Well, I guess if it passes the W 1 FE test is the critical thingy.

Yesterday I went to the local dealer to pick up a Savage model 99 in .300 Savage that I bought online. I had no right to expect such a purchase to be perfect, but the gun was in such good condition that it exceeded expectations. Since I can't drive yet, Doris went along with me. Lordy but I am blessed having her around for coming on 52 years. When I do something stupid like this, she just shakes her head and says something about my "pretty things." I guess she won't get too bent out of shape if I go for a Marlin Guide Gun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I own both a pistol .444 and multiple .45-70 rifles. With only 2.5" in barrel length difference between my .444 and .45-70, I'd say they are pretty comparable in potential. However, as much as I like .444, I think the .45-70 is far more versatile. I have to start reloading .444 because I can't trust Hornady LeveRevolution (most reasonably priced .444) to fire reliably.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Own a guide gun 45-70, very nice gun. Laminate stock with a big loop lever. I put a leupold delta point sight on it, tiny, yet very quick to put on em, and accurate. I handload my own, gun loves 350 gr at 2250fps, not made for older guns obviously

1 - 14 of 14 Posts