The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1971 when the movie Dirty Harry was released there would have been Police officers that would have wanted to carry the S&W 29 44mag for a duty weapon. Would that have been allowed anywhere in the US?

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Yes. San Francisco. Also, cops were not allowed to eat hot dogs with ketchup in 1971.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I could carry it now if I qualified with it, as soon carry a shotgun..In fact I have to qualify on Sat....

·
Registered
24,908 Posts
In 71 I carried a 6" S&W .38 on duty and a 2" Colt .38 off duty. I could have opted for S&W 44 for off duty but had great confidence in the 158 grain ball ammo in the .38's.
They went through the targets and the plywood backing most every time.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
In 71 I carried a 4 inch S&W .38 spec. department issued and had my own 2 inch Colt for casual Fridays (suit & tie) day.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
m sure someplace in the US some dept. allowed 44 magnums The PSP carried .357 mags, 6" bbls. We carried .38 Specials, dept. issued but could carry our own weapons but had to be loaded with dept. issued .38 spec. We had to qualify with what ever we carried on and off duty

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
In 71 I carried my blankie. I was 3 years old. My dept issues a handgun and I have to carry what is issued. When I worked on the AG task force, I could carry anything as long as I qualified with it. I carried a .45, because they don't make a .46.

·
Registered
24,908 Posts
forgot that ...I also carried my blankie,,, We were issued two blankies and sheets & pillow cases...along with the 6"S&W as we lived in barracks. We would work for two days then off for two. When we got transferred to another station we would take our blankies and sheets with us...each station provided the beds....I still have one of the blankets...the other one went to a litter of pups...

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buckethead said:
In 71 I carried my blankie. I was 3 years old. My dept issues a handgun and I have to carry what is issued. When I worked on the AG task force, I could carry anything as long as I qualified with it. I carried a .45, because they don't make a .46.

Good stuff

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
timberdoodle said:
forgot that ...I also carried my blankie,,, We were issued two blankies and sheets & pillow cases...along with the 6"S&W as we lived in barracks. We would work for two days then off for two. When we got transferred to another station we would take our blankies and sheets with us...each station provided the beds....I still have one of the blankets...the other one went to a litter of pups...

I forget how young you guys are

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Barney Fife wanted to carry a .44 Magnum but Andy and Thelma Lou wouldn't let him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts