The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fletch all my own arrows and bolts..at the moment,I'm shooting 2 inch Predator vanes off my blackeagle executioners...off my TP Turbo xlt2...from 0 to 40 yards bolts were flying 2 inch groups ...perfect...when I went to 50 yards..group changed to 3 inches to the left and high...wind was 5 to 7mph..would it been any better to bump it up to 4 inch Vanes to maybe stabilize them better at that range,the reason for this range is..I have a blind setup on a travel area that the deer are useing and 50 yards is my max shot that I'll take...blind is setup in a cornfield..or maybe the breeze was bucking and maybe,ill wait to a calm day to re shoot..?The xbow is a tack driver .

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cables&string and tuned in April before turkey season...im still blameing it on the right..left breeze that day...May be try some 4 inch Vanetecs just for hahas.Cam time is dead on...Rusty

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
You shooting fixed blades or mechanicals? If fixed, it could be the wind and some planing you experienced.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now im shooting field points...but I shoot Rages 125grains...I did shoot my rages at 40 and the practice point hit excellent..I didn't shoot the rage that morning duh..so I'll see how rage does at 50 yards..maybe that's my problem...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I think it was likely wind drift. 4 inch vanes will more than likely make the problem worse. Wait for a dead calm day and shoot again.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had the same issue when i bought my crossbow, it came with 3 Parker hunter arrows with 3" vanes. Anyways when i shot 30 yards, 40 yards with the light wind the arrow was off target. I bought the parker red hots (carbon express)with the heavy weight forward inserts, 2.1" fusion vanes that solved the problem for me. 5-7mph wind did not effect the arrow as it did with the Parker hunter arrows.

Check out the red hot arrows on Parker web site. They fit most crossbows with a 20" bolt. I will add this. There brass inserts now they claim there just as good as the ones they did make with the red front insert which are longer. i have the red inserts and if you compare the two? The red inserts look more heavier than the new brass inserts.

Also on there web site they say the parker hunter arrows are built in heavy weight forward? Not the ones i have don't. They did change there design on the shafts this year from a square to a honey comb. They don't have carbon express on the new arrows with brass inserts. IDK why they changed there arrows. I will stick with the 2013, 2014 model arrows. Beware bass peo shops and amazon show the picture arrow i am talking about but you don't get them, you get the new design arrow. I got a half dozen and noticed there different compare to what i have when i bought then 2 years ago. I haven't tried them out yet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my pro shop time my cams..right cam was off a bit...I'll be shooting it 50 yards this weekend...I shot it out to 30 yards and it was tacking...Im shooting Bees 20 inch with 2 inch Predator vanes at 433 grains...so we re see what goes on.Thank you for all the suggestions.Rusty

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'm fairly sure the new Parker arrows are made by Victory. When you square and true them they fly amazing. Spine align them and they are among the best available. Just use the heavy brass inserts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts