The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering how the PA Quail Plan was coming along and I saw this today:

QUAIL MANAGEMENT GIVEN BOOST

Commissioners vote to route $250,000 from lease agreement to efforts outlined by plan.

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners hope to jumpstart the state’s quail management efforts, and on Tuesday took action toward that end.

The board formed a committee to oversee implementation of the Game Commission’s quail-management plan, which includes an initial survey to identify quail habitat and determine how many wild quail live in Pennsylvania .

Additionally, the board amended a nearly $3.9 million lease agreement for oil and gas rights to route $250,000 to wildlife management resources, specifically for the management of the northern bobwhite quail.

Commissioner Jay Delaney made the motion to amend the lease, and it was seconded by Commissioner Brian Hoover and approved by a 5-2 vote. Commissioners Ralph Martone and Charles Fox voted against the measure, and Commissioner Ronald Weaner was absent.

Delaney said the Game Commission should place priority on efforts to manage bobwhite quail, since most reports indicate the species is in decline, and perhaps could be considered endangered.

The commissioners said the additional funding would help in providing resources for quail management.

Anybody else hear anything about the progress of the plan?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grouse seem to be doing well in parts of the state but the same can't be said for quail. I have no problems with the PGC trying to do something to help improve the status of bobwhite quail. And its not like nothing is being done for grouse. I'm sure there are others on here who know more about work being done for grouse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If they put the time effort and money in like they did for the turkey then the quail and grouse populations would benefit. I think this is a good start, I hope that it works out, I know there are some wild quail in the southern part of the state, I have never saw them myself. @clearfield12 there are grouse in the Allegany National Forest.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
LOL!

How far will $250,000 go toward quail habitat improvement? The thing is, this needs to be a continual habitat improvement program. Once they plant whatever or make whatever improvements, it will need maintained to keep it in that state.

Bobwhite quail exploded after the land was cleared for farming and because of the way farming was done. They will never be able to financially sustain a wild quail population without major contribution from those with thousands of acres of land. Those people want high yields from their farms, not quail.

The bobwhite is on the decline in areas with far better chances of habitat improvement than PA. This attempt will fail, unless the intent is to have a 100 acre northern bobwhite quail propogation area similiar to a zoo. Just so that PA can say it has a population of wild bobwhite.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When I started hunting we would flush wild quail regulary in Lebanon Co. on land that used to belong to my grandfather. Quail are a native bird and we should bring them back if it is possible, we should at least try the right way, not dump out pen raised birds but get wild quail from a state with hard winters. In the 30s and 40s my grandfather would get a permt from the PGC to trap and winter quail in cornshock enclosures on his small farm, feed them and release them in the spring. The first order of business has to be habitat or there is no point in trying.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Highcountry, a quarter of a million is a start. If Henry Ford and Thomas Edison would have stood back and listened to other people who said it can't be done, we would still be riding in buckboards and using kerosene lights!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
anytime the game commission tries rebuilding ANY native game bird in PA i'm all on board
quail, grouse, woodcock,even non native pheasants.
its a win win for everything be it your favored game or not

·
Registered
176 Posts
the first game bird I ever killed was a quail in Crawford county went trough 2 boxes of shells on rabbits d quail got one quail and one bunny that was in 1960 I always hear them singing in summer when at paps that was the first wisseal I learned as a kid wish they can get the back but farming is different now they use to many pestasides there is no bugs for the chicks or cover in winter

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Awesome news! CREP has been an integral part of the pheasant recovery plan. It will work even better with quail as they need smaller areas.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Oh boy oh boy, more ground shut down so that we supposedly won;t disturb nesting birds, even if we are not hunting them.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
treed74 said:
Oh boy oh boy, more ground shut down so that we supposedly won;t disturb nesting birds, even if we are not hunting them.
Really! Less than 1% of hunting ground has been closed for the wild pheasant plan for half a year and most of which is out of hunting season time. Some people just have to dig deep to find the negative in everything.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Treed74, this sounds like a foodplot for hawks. Its worked well with the pheasants, as the birds of prey made up the highest percent of the predation. Good thing for the predators is that these areas are open to them all year. And as Lynn noted its only around 1% of the huntable land. But that is probably based on all types of hunting land, these closed areas are usually better small game land, kind of the areas where guys like to train dogs. Would be great have wild quail again.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
bpottorff, the wild pheasant areas are not a hawk food plot if the proper habitat is available. The large 40 acre field where we flushed over 150 wild pheasants last February had no pheasant kills. We found about 5 rabbit kills in the field as the switchgrass provides good bunny cover too. The rabbit kills all seemed to be in the open. Rabbits travel alone and the pheasants tend to be in groups. I'm guessing the extra eyes provide warnings to the birds before the attack. Quail will also do well with the proper habitat. What works the best for quail in PA? That's what the introduction project will try to find out just as it did in the pheasant program.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think that is great news about the quail plan moving forward. Pennsylvania is a great and unique state, being that we can manage for both quail and grouse. I can see managing the southern half of the state for quail and the northern part for grouse. Both are native to PA and sporting for bird dog owners.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
treed74 said:
Really! Less than 1% of hunting ground has been closed for the wild pheasant plan for half a year and most of which is out of hunting season time. Some people just have to dig deep to find the negative in everything.
Yes really, and you said it, it is a negative thing. Sorry if i look for things that i deem as wrong, but i can do that.

So we've extended pheasant season to coincide with the rest of small game, yet the WPRAs are shut down the first of February. Why, because supposedly it disturbs the nesting bird. Sounds hypocritcal to me. If the PGC and others were truly concerned on disturbing birds, then no hunting for any pheasants anywhere. Or does it not really matter for the stock and shoot birds.

I'm all for your WPRA;s however, having hunted almost soley in the Hegin Gratz WPRA for most of the small game season, i saw o pheasants last year. That valley is not all WPRA posted farms, there is alot of private and public ground that has no association with the program. You want to shut down hunting on farms with the WPRA signs, no problem here. But to say almost an entire valley is closed, ridiculous. An when it does get open up for pheasant hunting and everyone and there brother shows up stumping through everyones field. You'll see posted signs going up real quick.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Fortunately, many people can see the possibilities in the future and their vision doesn't stop at the end of their nose.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I try to look to the future in this.
maybe someday the next generation will have a chance to get a Pennsylvania grand slam.
wild grouse ,woodcock ,pheasant and quail in one day...

i know when I was a kid you could do it

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Treed, you are correct, it does not matter for the stock and shoot birds. I am sorry you lose the last three weeks of February to hunt rabbits in the WPRA. But you can hunt the rest of the season. We wish we didn't have to restrict hunting in any way and I also lost some of my favorite hunting ground. Hunting wild birds is worth it in my opinion but I know not everyone agrees with it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts