The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize quail and pheasants do not have the exact same habitat requirements, but they do overlap substantially... Lynn, perhaps you or others involved in the wild pheasant reintroduction program can share any sightings of wild quail in these release areas? I've noticed there is no Quail Unlimited Forum on here... I realize PA is pushing the northern limit for quail but speaking to my father and grandfather, quail were far more common in PA than pheasants in many areas they hunted back in the 60's and 70's. Virginia where I live now has really pushed hard to improve quail habitat and I am starting to see a difference. Is Pennsylvania doing anything other than not allowing quail hunting in certain WMU's? Since quail are actually native and pheasants aren't, you'd think they would take priority? Don't get me wrong, I love hunting pheasants just like a love hunting quail... Just wondering what other's experiences and opinions are...

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Quail are coming up on the radar screen in PA and there will soon be info out on plans for quail in PA. The PGC is in the process fo writing a quail managment plan that will include a wild quail trap and transfer program similar to the pheasant program. We hope we can use the success of pheasant plant to jump start a quail plan in the near future. There may be some new info from the next Commissioner meeting concerning this issue. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Thee are no wild quail in our WPRA. The only place in PA that may have some wild quail are in a few southern counties.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts