The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever see a doe with four little ones in tow? I am not sure they were all hers but they sure acted like it. Two male and two females. At one point all of them tried to nurse a bit.

Watched them for 1/2 hour from my stand tonight. One of the fawns was actually eating acorns between the tree I was in and the ladder. I could feel her hitting the ladder as she was moving around.

I had a doe tag on my back but couldn't bring myself to shoot this old girl.

I have seen two sets of triplets, but never quaruplets.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Very few deer left in this area of 5C and I have noticed "orphaned" deer with join up with other orphans or even a doe with her little ones. You get to know the deer you see all summer here and notice stuff like that. About two years ago the only deer around here was a doe with two fawns, well her and one of her fawns were hit by cars in the same week.The little doe that was left was alone for about two weeks then was joined by an another orphaned doe. By august a button buck joined the little group. So while its certainly possible she had 4 fawns, more likely she just picked up a stranded orphan.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
i have seen triplets before, not sure they were all kin but i can see them joining up.

they are herd animals and will join up no doubt

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I have a captive doe that took care of all 6 of our fawns this year. She had two of her own, but cared for all of them.
I did see quads in the wild once though. I saw a group of deer running towards me, I thought a bear was chasing them. Turned out the last one in the group was a black colored deer.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I have seen triplets several times in the wild and have only once seen quads. No clue if they were all hers, but they sure were sticking with her and there were no other adult deer around...

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
we have the same situation in my area right now, but we know the story behind it. adult doe was hit by a car and killed in august, her little ones joined up with these others and now she walks around with 4 following her. it is cool to see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts