The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quadriplegic N.J. man gets right to bear arms so he can hunt from wheelchair

November 11, 2009
SOMERVILLE, N.J. (AP) — A quadriplegic in New Jersey has the right to bear arms even though he can't hold a gun or pull a trigger.

A judge ruled Tuesday that James Cap is eligible for a firearms ID, which is required to buy a gun.

Manville's police chief had rejected the 46-year-old's application last year.

Cap says he was an avid hunter as a teenager before he was paralyzed after breaking his neck in a high school football game 30 years ago.

Cap says he'll put the gun in a special wheelchair mount and operate it with a special breathing tube so he can hunt again.

The judge ruled Cap can have the permit only if his guns are stored in a safe and qualified people assist him with the weapons.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
171farm said:
Wow I dont understand why it would even be and issue? So the guy doesnt have controll over his body but it doesnt mean he should be denied the right to own a gun.
That's because it is the People's Republic of New Jersey; his local police chief decided to not give him a Firearms Card because the chief thought he would be a threat to others.

Catch 22: No card means he couldn't buy the weapon. I guess he didn't have any friends who would loan him a shotgun as he can purchase a NJ hunting license w/ out a firearms card.

NJ tramples the 2nd ammendment daily!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Quadriplegic N.J. man gets right to bear arms

The judge ruled Cap can have the permit only if his guns are stored in a safe and qualified people assist him with the weapons.
Isn't that putting conditions on his CONSTITUTIONAL rights as GUARANTEED by the 2nd amendment???

I do realize this happened in the PR of NJ.... but still.
Not living there & content to have the moat to keep me from accidentally venturing there.... don't they have to have a reason to not issue his "papers"?

I mean denying him because of a physical disability, doesn't that kind of go against all the "inclusiveness" they like to preach?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Re: Quadriplegic N.J. man gets right to bear arms

Bet the police chief would dirty his pants if the guy sued under the Americans with disability act!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts