The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you put it in gear it dies . 99 Polaris with automatic clutch. Mice had packed the inside of clutch housing with nesting material ,pee and poo. Cleaned it all out . I know the clutch is springs and weights that move the pulley plates in and out to engage the belt. Just not seeing anything obvious.
Any Ideas. Ran good when I last parked it last winter. Mice got in over winter.

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
I have had that happen if it had old fuel in the tank over the winter.
It sounds like more of a power problem than mechanical. If running right engine should be able to power through and grass and debris would get spun out.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch housing is cleared out,nothing I can see in between the springs /weights or pulley plate. Starts on first try Idles at 600rpm, give it gas it revs up no sputtering etc. All this in neutral. Have to let rpms die down when shift to forward or reverse, dies instantly when put in gear. Starts right back up ,no problem. I think it has to do with the clutch plates which looks good . Off to google search

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I hope someone has the answer to your problem because I'm having the same problem with a 2001 Yamaha Wolverine.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it backfire?
No, Starts easy, revs good, no missing or backfire. Last year it seemed to have to rev hi to get moving, may be a clutch problem was developing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The clutch has two sheeves / plates that pull closer as the rpm get higher, they close like a vise on the belt. The plates slide back and forth under pressure. Some of the urine and stuff can make the plate stay tight on the belt, like tring to drive a stick shift car starting off in 4th gear from a stop.
Brake cleaner and some grease on the shaft (alittle) might get it moving again.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The clutch has two sheeves / plates that pull closer as the rpm get higher, they close like a vise on the belt. The plates slide back and forth under pressure. Some of the urine and stuff can make the plate stay tight on the belt, like tring to drive a stick shift car starting off in 4th gear from a stop.
Brake cleaner and some grease on the shaft (alittle) might get it moving again.
This is a good possibility. I was hesitant to spray anything on the plates. brake cleaner evaporates quick . In expensive solution too. Going back to camp for turkey hunt in 2 weeks . Will try this. If not, back on the trailer to home.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will let you know if it works

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a good cleaning did not solve the problem. I did notice when I took off the clutch housing ,you could see all the pitting and corrosion from the pee on the sheaves. The clutch shaft was also a bit rusty and the clutch sheave moves when revved up. however at low idle there is about an inch of shaft showing that the plate could move more outward. I wonder if the clutch sheave isn't moving it's full travel on the shaft and then grabbing the belt when put in gear causing it to stall?
Loaded the trailer and brought it home ,will take to the shop.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the last time at camp I brought the quad home and dropped it off at a local repair shop. Both the drive clutch and the driven clutch are frozen, clutch cover is warped and eveidence of clutch hitting the cover. The corrosion of the aluminum clutch parts is very bad . I think the last owner overheated the clutch plowing his driveway. Possibly had the air vents clogged with snow or even mouse nesting material which caused it to overheat and warp the cover.
Mechanic gave the quad a good inspection and also found the chain and sprockets worn out. Other than that he said for an 18 year old quad its in good shape. So instaed of buying new riding mower for home I will have the repairs done and be very viligent mouse proofing the quad at camp.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the quad back from service, replaced both the drive clutch and driven clutch, rear drive chain and sprockets. All else was good for and 18year old quad. repair was more than I paid for it in the first place!.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts