The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
462 Posts
I tried some of the full blades prior to season. They are sharp, tough, and I really like the design. They flew pretty well too, but did require broadhead tuning to get them hitting with FP's and Ulmer Edge bh's.

I ended up going with the Ulmer Edge for this season though, so cannot tell you anything about terminal performance....just what I noticed on the range during practice sessions.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
For traditional I like a 2 blade cut on contact head like the Magnus, Steelhead Phantom, Zickey, etc.

Having said that I might try the Exodus for next season but I am back to a compound because of my back. I saw a video of guy shooting them at crazy ranges and they still flew great. My bows are tuned to the point I generally have to do very little to get fixed blades heads to fly well. This year I screwed the MX-3 on and it shot right in there. The quality on those isn't great though so I am looking to switch heads for next season.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I tried them this year. (Not the full blade) Shot great nice design killed a buck Nov.3rd fell within sight of my stand. I liked them but my brother on the other hand will never use them again. He shows up for his hunt in illinois gets his bow out and shoots it (full blades).He hears one guide ask the other if he was shooting the exodus and he answers yes. Some brother asked what was up and the guide told him that they have had nothing but bad experiences with them. Wouldn't you know my brother hit a big one quartering shot inside 30 arrow goes in to opposite shoulder never comes out. Buck goes over 400 yards on to neighbors never recovered. Does the same thing in Ohio at 15 yards doesn't get a pass thru we never find it. My 2 choices this past year were Ramcats or exodus I went with the exodus. I think I'll try the Ramcats this year they flew just like my field points and they improved them this year and I've seen the damage they do to deer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Double lunged my buck at 26 yrds with pass through. Ran 30 yrds and died, blood everywhere. I love them. As others said, I had a little tuning to do as with any fixed head I have ever shot.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Antler said:
I tried them this year. (Not the full blade) Shot great nice design killed a buck Nov.3rd fell within sight of my stand. I liked them but my brother on the other hand will never use them again. He shows up for his hunt in illinois gets his bow out and shoots it (full blades).He hears one guide ask the other if he was shooting the exodus and he answers yes. Some brother asked what was up and the guide told him that they have had nothing but bad experiences with them. Wouldn't you know my brother hit a big one quartering shot inside 30 arrow goes in to opposite shoulder never comes out. Buck goes over 400 yards on to neighbors never recovered. Does the same thing in Ohio at 15 yards doesn't get a pass thru we never find it. My 2 choices this past year were Ramcats or exodus I went with the exodus. I think I'll try the Ramcats this year they flew just like my field points and they improved them this year and I've seen the damage they do to deer.
Don't blame it on the broadhead. A perfectly placed field tip will kill a deer. A sharp broadhead through both lungs results in a dead deer every time. Doesn't sound like thats what happened here though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been using the full blade model for 2 years now and I have had very good success with them. They have passed thru all 4 deer I have shot with them. They required very little tuning to fly to my liking. The only small complaint I have is that they don’t seem to leave an excessive blood trail for tracking. (At least not consistently) But on the upside, I haven’t had a deer make it past 150 yards after being shot, 2 of them even headed into an open field after the shot and still ended up within sight after running at full tilt. I will continue to use them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts