The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts pro/con re: Pyrodex R/S? A friend is getting out of the muzzleloader business and gave me a can/jar of this stuff. Am wondering if it's any good for in-line use.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I use 777, but have shot the pyrodex r/s at Harrisburg fish and game with a tc encore rep, and it worked very good.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likewise w/ the 777. Love the stuff. Might use the R/S in my old T/C Thunderhawk.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
RS is a great powder Very consistent and very accurate. It may smell like rotten eggs during clean up, but its a good accurate powder and does not create a crud ring like T7

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
the crud ring comes from smashing the pellets, I learned that I only have to lightly seat the bullet and not jam it down in and now the crud ring doesnt start till I accidently forget and crush a pellet. get hotter primers if you have to jam the jag through to clean it, the powder will burn more consistant and that will help with the crud ring also.
also clean fequently and swab with bore butter.

oh im also new to muzzleloading so anything that ive found that helps my gun shoot better and stay cleaner may not mean anything to enthusiasts that have been doing it for years.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
well your gonna have a bad crud ring if you, dont clean the gun every couple shots, use cheap primers, and crush the powder.

I have no troubles with triple 777.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
no such thing as cheap primers. Hot primers cause an even harder crud ring. Primers like the cci inline mzl, winchester 777 primers are low temp primers made to help reduce the crud ring.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
My way of thinking, and using 777, in a hunting situation either inline or rifle, your first shot will be or should be out of a cold clean barrel. At the range I clean the inline after every shot, and I am getting excellent groups. I figure what ever works for for each of us, is all that matters.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What's the difference between the 209 primer and a 209A primer ? I have use Pyrodex R/S in my old Apoll0 90 .50 cal. Have super accuracy and clean up has always been easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts