The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets with my CVA 209 Optima Pro 45cal since I've owned it. I had a good buddy who advised me what bullets and powder to use and since I was setting this up very quickly in a last minute type of thing I went with it. The set up has worked great and I have always been taught that you don't try to fix something that ain't broke.
I had a supply of these black powder pellets until now. I am entering my season with 6 shots. I hope I only need one. They don't sell the pyrodex anymore. They advertise the Triple 7 as shooting just like the pyrodex.
I am curious how everyone thinks of these. Has anyone made the same switch recently? Also where can I buy the Triple 7's in the York, PA area in 45/50. I know I can order them but the hazmat shipping charges cost more than the item itself.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm in the same boat! From what I have read, loose pyrodex rs performs the same. I'm going to check my zero tomorrow to make sure. I only have 4 charges of pellets left. I have heard too much about how hard triple 7 is to clean to want to try it. If I switch to anything, its going to be Blackhorn 209 but its expensive and some older guns aren't good to use it in. Especially the cvas.

If you are happy with how its sighted in, 6 charges is a lot of muzzleloader hunting. Depends how many tags you plan on filling I guess. I only take 4 or 5 with me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This gun is shooting great with my current set-up. I just went to the range the other day and fired 1 shot at 50 yards and blew the bullseye right out of the target.
I was under the understanding that Triple 7 burned cleaner but I am not too concerned about that. My CVA is stainless.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I know what your saying in regards to finding 45cal pellets. I too hunt with a 45cal optima. I used to be able to find them, but it is getting harder. It sometimes seems the 45cal pellets are becoming obsolete. The ever popular 50cal can be found even at walmart now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got caught unprepared. I should have had this taken care of much earlier. I can order what I need but I will have to pay a hazmat shipping charge.
The gun is shooting great and I am hoping the 5 or 6 shots I have for the season will do. It certainly should. I do hunt PA and MD. I use this gun in the MD shotgun season as well because it is way more accurate at longer distances than my smooth bore slug gun. I could also may borrow a few pellets from someone.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Are you guys sayin the standard 50-50 and 50-30 pellets aren,t made anymore?
He is talking about 45 caliber pellets, which I believe he is correct are no longer made as they are not on Hodgdons website. Also do not see the 50-30s anymore on there and had heard awhile ago that they also were discontinued. They appear to make 45-50 and 50-30 in triple seven pellets though.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
AmazonHunter

Give a call or stop into Reddings Hardware in Gettysburg.
Guaranteed they have some pellets. I stocked up for my .45 Encore from them just a little while ago.
Website shows they have Triple 7 in stock.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I found a 4pk deal from Cabelas. 4 boxes for $69.99. I just ended up ordering this deal and paid the shipping and hazmat fee. Cost me $105 total but those 4 boxes should last me awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts