The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Pyrodex Pellets in a Flinter Question.

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  brubincam 
#1 ·
Guys, I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I need to know. I have a TC Firestorm, and Im wondering if it is possible and or a good idea to use the pyrodex pellets I use in my inline as the propelleant in the flinter? Any suggestions, or advice is welcome and will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
You can try it but it is my guess that you will not get consistant ignition. My reasons are real black powder has an ignition temp of about 460 degrees the ignition temp of loose pyrodex is over 600 degrees as is to my knowledge all of the substitutes are over 600 and some over 700 degrees. That is why it is recommended to use a shotgun primer for ignition of all the substitutes. I certainly would not want to take the chance of faulty ignition when aiming at game.

#5 ·
Montana Mike said:
Guys, I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I need to know. I have a TC Firestorm, and Im wondering if it is possible and or a good idea to use the pyrodex pellets I use in my inline as the propelleant in the flinter? Any suggestions, or advice is welcome and will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys.
Have never had a single issue using pellets in my firestorm....I put in a 30 & 50 grain pellet and use 295 power belts.

#6 ·
i have had a firestorm since they first came out. i put a squirt worth of 4F down the tube first and then 2 50gr pyrodex pellets followed by a 245 grain powerbelt. i then put just enough 4F in the pan to be level with the touch hole and let a little trickle into it. goes off everytime with very little hang time and is very accurate. i put about as much 4F in the bore as i do in the pan, maybe even a little less. you don't want to overdo it or it will create high pressure.

#8 ·
The firestorm was designed to use with the pellets. My brother has one, and all he's ever used are the pellets. I don't know as he's ever had a misfire while in the field, and he's on had one or two at the range, and that was afert 4 or 5 shots in a row, with no cleaning in between. He shoots shockwaves on top of two 50gr pellets out of his, and it's pretty darn accurate!

#9 ·
Thank you guys, one more question. This 4f powder, if I put a dash in the barrel...is this the same powder I put in the flash pan??? I know these are dumb questions but Im new to this, as it has been many years since I have fired a flintlock. Thanks again for the help fellers.

#11 ·
When I bought my first flintlock all I had for powder was an ancient can of 3f Dupont [with about 4 ounces left]and a pound of Pyrodex. I used the 3f in the pan and dumped around 5 grains of 3f down the bore before loading the Pyrodex. It worked well but since then I have been able to get Goex with no problem.

I have never used or even seen the pellets but a small charge of 4f [5 grains]to help light off the pellets won't be a problem. Just remember that 4f is not intended to be your main charge.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.