The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been trying to shoot triple 7 powder out of the a new firestorm, I'm more than a little frustrated. I just don't trust the pellets to make the switch and I just feel right using pellets for some reason. So, I suppose I continue to struggle with the powder...the women in my life won't permit use of the real stuff due to the odor when I clean it after a day in the field or at the range.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
Start cleaning it outside.Triple 7 is simply not the best choice for a flintlock.I've tried it all out of curiosity and nothing beats the real thing for a flintlock.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
flintlock = real black powder. How they figure anyone could use pellets in a flinter is beyond me. It takes a lot to set those pellets off and gets worse once they suck up moisture.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Pyrodex loose goes off just fine with the Firestorms. The pellets are harder to ignite and are not recomended with a flint lock.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
For consistent/positive ignition in the FS ...stay with loose.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Clean it outside; and use real BP. If you want a boost of velocity then buy Swiss powder; it's every bit as fast as Triple7 or Pyrodex and will give much more consistant ignition and accuracy; plus it lasts for years without degrading like the subs do.

All you need to clean it is a gallon milk jug; I carry one full of clean water in my truck and clean it as soon as possible. Just stick your barrel in there and your good to go. It's actually nice to have 2 jugs and keep changing the water; you only need enough to get above the touch hole in the jug and you don't need hot water.

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
Avoid Pyrodex, it is very much more corrosive than holy black. Loose Black will work in any flinter. Why spend an obscene amount for pellets when cheaper black will work as well?

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
mossie said:
Clean it outside; and use real BP. If you want a boost of velocity then buy Swiss powder; it's every bit as fast as Triple7 or Pyrodex and will give much more consistant ignition and accuracy; plus it lasts for years without degrading like the subs do.

All you need to clean it is a gallon milk jug; I carry one full of clean water in my truck and clean it as soon as possible. Just stick your barrel in there and your good to go. It's actually nice to have 2 jugs and keep changing the water; you only need enough to get above the touch hole in the jug and you don't need hot water.
Amen on Swiss Mossie!! Why screw around with anything less considering all you have invested in this smoking sport!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts