The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there’s any water in the swamps around pymie? I know most places are lacking water big time. Just trying to get a game plan for Saturday. Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know the lake is down and the swamp on the farm we lease is all but dried up. I would think that if you were going to hunt in the duck areas there should be some water but not sure how far in you would have to go to get to it or even if you could. If possible you could drive up to the mgnt building on one of the days that the blinds are open and ask one of the game wardens working at the management building , they can be helpful , sometimes. Harts town also has some water but it's low everywhere . Sorry I can't be more help

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a lot of help thank you for the information. I was planning on hunting in J swamp but might just walk in instead of taking the canoe.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If I remember correctly J area has a pretty good grass road going back to the swamp that opens up to a field. If it's the one I'm thinking of we used to hide in the field edge and pass shoot. There should be plenty of woodies as there was only one frost .

·
Registered
493 Posts
Does anybody know how they are going to handle registration for duck management areas this year? I didn't see an announcement about getting into the building. Thinking about later in the season since water levels are so low right now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
a lot of the back waters around the lake are very very low or non existent , going to be a slow season

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what one guy told me , masks are required to enter the management building and only one at a time are permitted in , everyone else stands outside. I would take a mask just in case .

·
Registered
744 Posts
I checked with HQ and yes, mask inside the bdl and they will limit the number inside. Apparently we are on our own outside so if you get 19, sue the ducks!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. Looks like a walk in and pass shoot will be the only way to go unless I feel like pulling the boat through swamp mud.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ended up in Hartstown. I was going to go to Geneva but it was packed at 4:30.
Hartstown wasn't much better but there's more room.
Got one wood duck due to poor shooting.
That was the only kind of ducks I saw up there.
I saw sandhill cranes and geese.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We hunted Geneva, it was a madhouse. Guys started shooting at 0647, almost 10 minutes early. We were tucked in a out of the way spot, didn’t see anywhere near the birds we normally see. Managed to kill a drake mallard and a hen Woody.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was suprised nobody shot early at Hartstown. I don't know if it was because goose is closed or what?
Got checked by 2 cute game wardens ( women).

·
Registered
7 Posts
We got 2 wood ducks and a blue wing teal I saw a couple groups of teal in the north end of hartstown... then 2 game wardens walked across from us on the one access road they walked in front of us everytime birds were coming by....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Was anybody up there today?
I have a friend that wants to try duck hunting and wondering if any new birds came in.
Going Monday here or Geneva.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not up there today, but I doubt there are new ducks. Need a good cold front. Maybe you can take him goose hunting, seems like there are a decent number of birds around

·
Registered
493 Posts
Doesn't open until Saturday. He's off Sundays and Mondays.
We'll probably go and get wet since they are calling for rain.
Better than working!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi not sure why they didn't reply to you. From what we were told ( Pymatuting), mask!! No one is allow in until there whole group is ready, other area(s) of hunting I guess same but as with others (goose) lines 6 feet apart for the groups waiting. Only taking one group or person at a time.

Does anybody know how they are going to handle registration for duck management areas this year? I didn't see an announcement about getting into the building. Thinking about later in the season since water levels are so low right now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Talked to a friend of mine who went up on Saturday to hunt ducks. He hunts a swamp between Pymi and Conneaut Lake . He saw a few ducks and got some shooting but left early because the smell of dead deer was making him sick . According to what he was told because the water is so low and in some swamps dried up the deer have been dying from EHD . He said the smell was unbearable in the swamp he hunted. I don't know if it's EHD or not but that's what he was told.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts