The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get drawn for this? A friend said our name was pulled at the drawing but we haven't got anything in mail yet. Has anyone been up there? How was it? I hear it is a blast.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
JUST received my letter today! I'm in for the first day, December 22. Can't wait

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats Traderdave. We got ours today as well. We are in for Jan 19th..Let me know how you make out. Should e a blast.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
There is a lottery style 2 day hunt for flintlocks and archery at the Pymatuning Refuge. Day 1 is Dec 22 and day 2 is Jan 19. You need to apply before mid November with drawing in early December. That's the deal.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I will let you know how it goes on the 22nd as I was picked and will be there looking for a dandy buck!

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
OK...so tomorrow is the BIG DAY! Can't wait...rain has stopped and they are calling for NO RAIN tomorrow. I have the TC Hawken tuned and ready to go. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow night. If you're hunting tomorrow, GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck T. I can't wait to hear how it went. We go Jan 19th and I am stoked already. I hope you get a big one but most importantly, have fun. You should see a ton of deer. Get there early. I have a buddy going tomorrow and he is going to be up there by 4am. Sign in at 5 and get to spot.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Based on my experiences from waterfowl hunts in those swamps, dating back to the 70's, I've predicted a record Buck will come out of these late season hunts one day. The ingredients are there. Thick, nasty cover, protected areas for most of the year, and plenty of good food on the swamp edges.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
OK...so here goes! My brother and I were at the Management Building at 3:55 AM and were the ONLY ones there. Another truck showed up about 4:10. At 4:55 there were only about 15 of us waiting in line. Needless to say, I was the first in and the first out. We headed over to the white barn (Wilson Road) for a premier spot along the swamp. I am in position by 5:45 and I have the woods to MYSELF. Then about 6:20 EVERYBODY else shows up and of course, they plop in ALL AROUND me. Long story short...I saw 31 deer, only 1 buck, a small racked 6 point that probably tipped the scales at 200+. I had MANY opportunities to shoot a doe but was holding out for a big boy. My brother saw 35 or 40 and did see a HUGE buck. He called it a Bill Jordan Realtree buck. Said it came by him at about 100 mph. It was a good day. EVERYONE around me fired at least 3 times. Get this...87 hunters (3 no-show MZL) and we harvested 5 deer. 1 buck ( a 5 point) and 4 doe. That was the total when we checked out at 4:30. I will post some pictures of the area later. Hope that helps! Good Luck to everyone going on the 19th.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Talked with a guy who said he saw 3 160" or better bucks today, he only had a doe tag. He used his buck tag in archery. He was a bit ticked! The big boys are there, that's for sure. I did see 2 does that would probably go 180#, they looked HUGEEEEEEE

1 - 20 of 34 Posts