The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without spraying.
Anyone use a poke or jab stick, with syringe & needle to dispatch Skunks?
Did you make your own? or Buy one?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When I had to pt a skunk down I shot them behind the shoulder with a .22, I never had one spray, sometimes they leaked when they relaxed in death. If you are talking about when trapping I doubt you want a hole in the hide.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Hern, I may be wrong here, but I think it is illegal to administer a lethal liquid injection into a wild animal unless you have a license to do so.

That being said, 10cc of acetone in an 18g needle mounted to the end of a 3/4" pvc pipe with a 1/2" pipe for a plunger........about 5' long.......makes skunks go night-night.
(Syringe from TSC with screw on needle. Cut off the finger guards and slide it in the end of the pipe)

Just talk real softly and slip it between the ribs. The only time I ever got sprayed was when I had a ride-a-long and they made an outburst at the last second. Caught a spritz on my jacket sleeve.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I heard they don't leak if you hit them in the head. The FIRST time it worked... it hasn't worked since.

So then I read where if you hit them between the shoulders they wont leak. The FIRST time it worked and a leak with all after.

The best thing I have found if targeting skunk, is the Tuff Trap made by the Snare Shop. I've caught 4 in it so far, and use a water tank to dispatch. I have yet to experience any odor. Number 5 might be the exception...:grin2:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
From an old skunk trapper: shoot the skunk in the head. You have 5 seconds to step one foot in the center of the back and the other on the rump tail area. Shift weight to foot at the rear and wait. Disclaimer; this works after the first few tries very well. Proper execution is key.

Be brave you are a trapper. It will only last for the day and it ain't that bad when it is on you. Kinda sweet smelling after the burning stops.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
From an old skunk trapper: shoot the skunk in the head. You have 5 seconds to step one foot in the center of the back and the other on the rump tail area. Shift weight to foot at the rear and wait. Disclaimer; this works after the first few tries very well. Proper execution is key.

Be brave you are a trapper. It will only last for the day and it ain't that bad when it is on you. Kinda sweet smelling after the burning stops.
This post actually made me LOL!! :grin2: Reminded me of my late Grandfather. Thanks for the post!!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple of weeks ago George, a friend, showed me his jab pole.
It was made up of a 5' fiberglass rod (3/8") with wrapped handle. On the business end, a metal tip was glued onto end to place syringe.
I liked the small diameter of the pole. It will fit into cage traps to help me dispatch our backyard Skunks.
George uses 6cc syringe. 16 gauge needles, 1.5" long. For small, young Skunks, he uses 1" needles.

So I made my version of a Jag Pole-
Cut off top of plunger to form this--> +
Then cut 2"-2.5" piece of pipe that fixes onto rod
Make two cross cuts on end of pipe. Like this--> + File rough edges inside and out and file inside slots.
Check slots for fit. Then epoxy to end of fiberglass rod.

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Above pic is a 4' pole. But I wanted a 5' pole with handle....
I cut off old sand wedge golf club handle & part of shaft.
Then epoxied shaft & handle to fiberglass rod to have a handle and get 5' overall length...

So here's my 5' version, with syringe attached...
Heck yea, I had to camo spray paint it...

DSC01376.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
You guys are all doing it wrong. First talk nice to the skunk and explain you don't want to hurt it just set it free. Let it know if there are any injuries you will be willing to take it to vet and pay for all expenses. Then hunker down to it's level so you don't intimidate it and pet it. Like you are buddies and stuff. Then take it's foot out of the trap and let go free to your next trap so you can do it all over again.>:)

Please post if anyone does this and let us know how easy it was...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts