The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like everyone uses a mouth call or pot call. i was wondering if it is worth getting a push/pull call, i use both mouth and pot but my brother is just getting into turkey hunting with me this season and i was wondering if i should get him one because they are easier to use at first.....also when would you use that call rather then a pot or mouth call?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It def would not hurt to have in your vest. You never know whats gona get that old toms tempatuer boiling....... And at times can be deadly. I have had success a couple differnt times. And also is a good call to use to luer the turkey in them last 50 60 yards...... i like the easy yelper. I carry 3 or 4 mouth calls a couplel slates and a glass on slate. Multipal strickers and a good box call for runing and guning and on really windy days. And then also a easy yelper push pull

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Nothing wrong with a push pin caller. They're great for a beginner, but not just for beginners.
Better someone have a call that they can call well with rather than several that he hasn't mastered.

One tip: Not all push pin calls are created equal. Try them out.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I got my last gobbler with one. It was great in that situation. I will always have one in my vest.

·
Registered
697 Posts
fall gobbler said:
One tip: Not all push pin calls are created equal. Try them out.
This. When you find one that's tuned well, look out. A push pin is all turkey. Great purrs, nice roll over yelps, realistic clucks.

Here's the thing with a push pins -- because they are so easy to use, it's tempting to over call sometimes. Its great choice regardless of experience in the spring or fall woods.

In the fall, I never carry more than a push pin, a double reed mouth call, long box and a trumpet. And some days I only carry the push pin...

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
PA boxcall said:
When you find one that's tuned well, look out. A push pin is all turkey. Great purrs, nice roll over yelps, realistic clucks.
Yes sir.

And here's a little friendly advice........ there's more to running a push-pin than pushing the pin. Finger pressure on the striker board is ALL important. Varying grip pressure changes tone too.

A well-tuned push-pin can be UNBELIEVABLE if the feller holding it knows his call.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have two that a normally with me. Usually go to call when nothing else is getting a response I try it out. Or if Im and trying to have a couple different sounds going to sound like a couple different birds in the area I'll use it along with another call.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
As far as I'm concerned you can never carry too many different calls to try on an uncooperative gobbler.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They are nice to use because they take very little movement to operate. When you get set up against a tree and have a bird coming in,and have your gun up over your knee, all you need to do is bump it along side your leg and scratch a few times in the leaves. Its down beside you and your leg hides the movement, and its not like you need two hands to operate it. Its a very effective tool, and when used correctly, can give great results, just dont overdo it and call too much. also stay away from mounting it on the underside of your shotgun barrel like some manufacturers claim, I always felt it gives it a "tingy" sound, keep it low and played low . Great for the beginner, and relativly cheap too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use one and killed two gobblers in two days with it. They can be pretty deadly if you know what you doing. Like someone said very little movement is needed. I own several calls and started using the push button about 3 years ago. I found it's how I work the call that makes it work so well. It's the first call I start out with in the morning and it's usually the last call I use to seal the deal. You need to find the call that give you the sound your after. Pushing the buttom will give out a sound but it's up to you to work it to get the perfect tone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts