The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
That purple paint may make it easier for the landowner to mark his land, but it will not make any difference than the signs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Spend $20 out of your hunting budget and get one of the many apps that show boundaries....they you KNOW where you're at and who owns it...I trust an app way more that someone IDEA of their property line. The apps are very accurate. This whole can I see purple with a flashlight or a posted sign is getting a bit tired. If you are that detached from the property you are hunting, and are going in to hunt ...that's a problem.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
And then there are those that could drive 20 minutes to 1,000's of acres of game lands, but they would rather sneak into your property and give you all kinds of excuses when confronted.
^^This.

I've got a large piece of public land within 10 minutes of my property. Yet me and every neighbor, on all sides, have had issues with poaching, trespassing and other illegal activity on our respective places. It's amazing how someone might dismiss my property as insignificantly small with respect to the much larger public land nearby...yet be pissed that they can't legally hunt my place and go out of their way to sneak in.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Yet me and every neighbor, on all sides, have had issues with poaching, trespassing and other illegal activity on our respective places.
Seems everyone with private lands says someone is poaching deer. If there really was that much poaching going on, there wouldn't be any deer left for hunting season.

Signs or purple paint, doesn't matter to me. It lets me know where not to hunt. So much land, so little time to hunt it all. Most of you people would crap your pants if you saw how much private land around me is left open for hunters, and if you go to the right areas, even open for quad riders.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The poachers out here are usually smart enough to not shoot deer out of season. A gunshot at first or last light out of season is automatically suspicious. They use the noise camouflage of active rifle/muzzleloader seasons to do their business during the season most of the time, with handful who do hunt out of season using smallbores or archery tackle. They typically exert a ton of effort - far more than they would simply seeking out permission on places where they could legally hunt private - finding out which landowners are not around or don't hunt what portions of what seasons and exploit those timeframes (just like the guys I caught on my place "knew" that the [previous] landowner didn't hunt in December.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does PA’s clean and green program have any stipulations for allowing hunting or public access? Also are there any incentives for land owners to enroll their land in the hunter cooperative program.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Does PA’s clean and green program have any stipulations for allowing hunting or public access? Also are there any incentives for land owners to enroll their land in the hunter cooperative program.
If enrolled as ag use or forest reserve in C&G, the land need not be open to public use.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
They're only as accurate as the county GIS department/maps, which is where the info comes from. Some counties are very accurate and others are absolutely off by 100ft+ in some areas. Public land boundaries on apps are more accurate versus private land.
It's true that the county GIS layers are often way off. 40 to 60 feet errors are common. But can be 100 feet or more in some places.

I'm not sure why these large errors are so common.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
They're only as accurate as the county GIS department/maps, which is where the info comes from. Some counties are very accurate and others are absolutely off by 100ft+ in some areas. Public land boundaries on apps are more accurate versus private land.
While that is likely true, 100ft +- shouldn't deter the fact that the land is private or public. I would guess that most private land that is adjacent to public property is posted as such.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Let's assume the apps are 100 ft off...and let's say in the while that the apps are typically accurate...so the chances of it being off aren't great.We are talking 10 - 30 yards. That being said if anyone questioned me and I would show them the app and where I am located. So many people 'think' they own what they dont

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's true that the county GIS layers are often way off. 40 to 60 feet errors are common. But can be 100 feet or more in some places.

I'm not sure why these large errors are so common.
Because they are based on tax maps that were originally done by someone sitting at a drafting table plotting deeds with a scale and a protractor.

As someone who works with deeds and county GIS mapping on a daily bases, I would not bet money on the accuracy of their mapping. How do you accurately show a 200 acre property when the deed description doesn't close by over 400 feet? Or a deed description that was cobbled together by an attorney based other deed descriptions from three or four other deeds that are based on three or four surveys that spend 100 years?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Let's assume the apps are 100 ft off...and let's say in the while that the apps are typically accurate...so the chances of it being off aren't great.We are talking 10 - 30 yards. That being said if anyone questioned me and I would show them the app and where I am located. So many people 'think' they own what they dont
Tax maps/GIS mapping are not and were never intended to be an accurate representation of property or property location.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
They may not be accurate. But very few owners would be able to show survey stakes. I believe most are afraid to have their land surveyed because once they do, THAT becomes the standard.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have been hunting the same 150 acre farm for 50 years and know where every stake, pin, and rock that mark the boundaries are located. The 2 brothers who own the property do very little with it, lease it to another farmer, and they only hunt the first day and Saturday of buck, which pretty much lets me and my son as the only other hunters on the farm. This past season in archery, I heard a 4-wheeler coming through the woods, it was the brothers and they had gotten some kind of GPS app to try and locate the property pins. I told them I could show them where every pin was, their late grandfather had showed me the markers back in the 1970s, and from hunting about every inch of the farm in 50 years, have seen the pins quite frequently, and I preceded to spend the morning, walking them all over the farm, pointing out all their boundaries and stakes. They were quite happy with my assistance and I didn't think of it as a wasted morning that I could of been hunting, but as a big thank you to them for letting me hunt there all these years, over the years a few of the markers had actually had trees grow around them and very little was showing or the stakes had rusted off at ground level.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts