The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like in PA, texas law provides that it is a crime to enter or remain on property where notice is given not to enter. Their definition of "Notice" includes:

(2) “Notice” means:
(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;
(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;
(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;  
(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:
(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;
(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground;  and
(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:
(a) 100 feet apart on forest land;  or
(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land;  or

- See more at: Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 30.05 | FindLaw

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I have always liked it.

How well are the people who cant see orange and yellow signs going to be able to see purple? A lot of them cant feel or remember the fence they crossed so thats 2 senses down.

Reactions: SRA-5C+

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
One of the most amazing feats of memory loss occurs every hunting season. And this is usually followed with color blindness and an overcoming sense of denial, accompanied by huge rushes of self entitlement. And followed by denial when asked about above symptoms.

Trespassing in Pa. "One of the most passed down traditions in the state". And those that deny it, ask yourself and the ones you find doing it, young and old alike where they learned it... It was taught, handed down through generations, like an old rifle...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am color blind. Purple is a poor choice of color. Chartreuse or bright yellow would be seen.

I know the lands I tread on and am welcome there. Would be nice to have a universal boundary warning and be able to prosecute violators by simply getting them on camera inside the boundary if not catching them there in person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think here in Md. blue is for no trespassing. White means its okay but you still need written permission.
Maryland law allows the use of blue paint stripes and/or signs to indicate private property boundaries. Vertical paint marks at least two inches in width and eight inches in length must be centered at least three feet, but no more than 6 feet, from the ground or water surface. The paint must be oil-based and bright blue.

Yellow paint stripes mark State land.

I've never heard of White paint stripes meaning hunting allowed by permission. Doesn't mean it's not true!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would simply like to see a law that requires land owners to include at least a signed last name on NO TRESPASSING signs...just gets rid of the mystery of who owns or thinks they own the land.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I would simply like to see a law that requires land owners to include at least a signed last name on NO TRESPASSING signs...just gets rid of the mystery of who owns or thinks they own the land.
Then require written permission. That way you would know whos property you are on,

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

Why is that? It is your job to know where you are not the landowners job. There is no such law that requires signage to be singed, nor is there no such law that requires property to be posted. That is Pa lore, nothing more. And I totally disagree with last named posted. With private property comes certain aspects of private.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Maryland law allows the use of blue paint stripes and/or signs to indicate private property boundaries. Vertical paint marks at least two inches in width and eight inches in length must be centered at least three feet, but no more than 6 feet, from the ground or water surface. The paint must be oil-based and bright blue.

Yellow paint stripes mark State land.

I've never heard of White paint stripes meaning hunting allowed by permission. Doesn't mean it's not true!
I just always heard blue means no trespassing, white okay. Regardless Md. requires written permission to be on private ground hunting and enforced by Md. DNR.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Why is that? It is your job to know where you are not the landowners job. There is no such law that requires signage to be singed, nor is there no such law that requires property to be posted. That is Pa lore, nothing more. And I totally disagree with last named posted. With private property comes certain aspects of private.

I could not agree more with you. Why should I have to go out of my way to preserve and protect what is mine. Landowners do not owe the hunters anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
haha...just an opinion. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers...I do not own my own property and felt it would be nice to know who I could potentially ask permission. I know it never works but doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I'm ALL FOR a statewide, uniform boundary marking system being made law. I have even had some discussion with a state senator's office about sponsoring such a deal.

BUT................... It's really pretty useless until such a time when state trespassing penalties become more than just a lame joke.

There's TWO different sets of legislation that need addressed simultaneously to start making a difference when it comes to trespassers.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seems signs are printed on magic substances. They detach themselves within a few weeks after posting around here. Often found hiding on the ground even found hiding in the property owners mail box. For some reason paint can't do such things in the fantasy land called Pennsylvania.

If is amazing how those square yellow property boundary markers are rarely seen in Maryland, where the game officials rigidly enforce the written permission law, because in that state, a hunter is committing illegal hunting when he trespasses. PA still has this strange fiction, that a hunter who is committing misdemeanor agricultural hunting is some how legally hunting. I am waiting for some LEO to charge a trespassing hunter with possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime while trespassing.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
As much as I'd like to see the PGC recognize the use of some color paint to designate property boundaries for "No Trespassing", I see it working as well as using posted signs does now. I would not want us (landowners) to be mandated to post the boundaries. Now we get into unfunded government mandates. First we need trespassing laws that have teeth. I'd be very happy with a written permission law. The guys/gals who hunt our place would have written permission every year. Otherwise, no hard copy, PGC can prosecute. A standardized paint color would definitely be less expensive than posted signs and plywood backers. As someone else said, those paint strips would not conveniently disappear either.

This is a good idea guys. I talk with PGC guys a lot. I will pick their brain and see if ther is any thought being given to this on Elmerton Ave.

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
So some want to mandate that private property owners have to mark their borders in a particular way.
Why? I know where my boundaries are. I have also marked my boundaries in a way that I believe is sufficient to notify others that they are approaching my border.
If I have mis-read the intent of a standard border marking system, please let me know. Also, if you are saying that a border must me marked according to the standard to allow for trespass enforcement, landowners are going to be really upset.
If you are proposing a system of optional, yet recognizable border marking, I'm all ears.
So, please help me understand.

·
Registered
919 Posts

I would like to see people respect landowners rights and to have trespass violations swiftly prosecuted by law enforcement..........

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Homein the woods. You can mark your boundaries all you want and it has no legal meaning to prosecute for trespassing unless you meet the dictates of the statute. a painted symbol or color can't be ripped down, torn up and thrown away like signs. It would not require nails and staples in trees. The crap people try to pull to avoid a trespassing citation is amazing. From the signs were not exactly 50 ft apart, were not signed by the owner, to I did not see any signs, as he knows where he stashed them when he tore them down.

Yes we need more teeth in the prosecution of trespassers. Right now stealing a pack of gum at walmart is considered a more serious crime.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts