The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these better than the DCNR Public Use maps? I was exploring Rothrock Forest tonight and found some hiking trails that weren't listed on the DCNR map so I'm thinking about purchasing the Purple Lizard if they include more than the DCNR ones. Thanks

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Yes, much better. These are superb maps, with much more detail than the DCNR state forest public use maps.

The DCNR state forest maps are at a scale of 1:127,000, which means that 1 inch = 2 miles.

The Purple Lizard Rothrock SF map is at a scale of 1:39,138, which means 1.625 inch = 1 mile.

So the scale is 3.25 times larger. There is simply much more room to show detail on the map.

In addition to the scale, the cartographer is one of the best in the US/world. He was the person who designed the original Trails Illustrated maps.

So, the accuracy and design of these maps is excellent.

The maps are not paper, but some kind of tough, long lasting material.

I have the Purple Lizard Rothrock SF map, it's great. The Bald Eagle SF map is also available.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Troutbert.......thanks for the info. I've seen them for sale around here but didn't know what they were. Gonna hafta get some of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the Rothrock and Scotia maps. If you're around Huntingdon at all, Rothrock outfitters (on Penn street, between 4th and 5th, a couple doors down from Boxer's Cafe) carries them. Standing stone coffee shop (13th and Mifflin streets, pretty sure) carries the one for Rothrock.
I also have a DCNR pamphlet for the Penn State ground out around Mooresville/McAlevey's Fort/Shaver's Creek, turns out the map on it is from Purple Lizard also.

They're excellent maps. Tons of detail, and very accurate. Worth the money, if you're going to be stomping around in those areas much. I wish they'd make one for the Elk range up north, and Jack's mountain between Mapleton, Mount Union and Three Springs.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Happy to hear nice reviews of these maps. I am looking at buying the Pine Creek, and Moshannon-Quahanna Maps, but also saw that they are coming out with a Loyalsock map in the Spring of 2020. I'm going to hold off buying them for a couple months, and get the Loyalsock one as well. Figure that would get me into the free shipping tier that way as well.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
They are good maps. I've met the guy that makes them, he seems like a good guy. But a lot of their core clientele of hikers and mtn bikers are vehemently anti hunting. Haha the glares they give when we cross paths always cracks me up, once in awhile one will say something.

Just an FYI to those in the Rothrock, there's a big trail redesign going to take place over the next couple years, they are going to replace a bunch of trails with drainage problems and try to reroute all the straight up-down trails to include switchbacks and all that jazz. So if you buy a map now it will be obsolete here pretty quickly.

I hunt in the RR and the proliferation of mountain bike and hiking trails has down a number on the hunting in a few areas the last decade. Kinda whizzes ya off, but is what it is.

Also, CalTopo Mapbuilder layer has as much if not better detail than Purple Lizard and its free.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Purple Lizard maps are well worth the price.
Yes indeed. They are superb maps.

I have the maps of Pine Creek valley, Rothrock State Forest, and Bald Eagle State Forest.

I wonder if he's going do one for Sproul State Forest.

It would be great to have a good ANF map. The Forest Service map is better than nothing, but not very good.

But that would be a very difficult area to map well. It sprawls across a large area, so to do it a detailed scale would be tough. And the landscape is very cut up with forest roads, old gated woods roads, and roads that access the gas wells and pipelines and timber cuts. And things are constantly changing there.

Think about mapping a protected area like Shenandoah National Park or Yellowstone NP. Almost nothing changes there. You can make a detailed map, and 10 years later it's still accurate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts