The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Clearing and expanding 8/07/09

After Clearing and Expanding 8/09/09

9 Days after seeding with Pure attraction (oats, winter peas and brasicas) Plus a bag of Winter Greens (Brasicas)

16 Days after planting

Looks to be growing ok, I imagine the oats are whats growing fast, the brasicas seem to be coming up as well, maybe some peas in the next line of photographs I take.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Maybe put an small exclusion cage up? You may be surprised to find that your peas are coming up, they are just maybe being eaten off.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dutch, I will do just that this weekend. Any idea on the rate at which peas do grow? Are they fast growers? Do they spread or is it usually one plant per seed? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Peas are one plant per seed. Fairly fast growing.

I've never planted them, but have seen them in mixes and deer DO love them. It would be similar to soybeans in preference.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Unless you have a low population deer heard, I doubt you'll see much of the peas. They are pretty much eaten before you get to see them. Deer absolutely love them. A great initial attractor for your plot. The oats will help out as well. Once the first good freeze comes the deer will be all over the brassicas. I've gotten my first good freeze a couple times during the rutt and it was absolutely awesome the deer you saw!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Shunk, did you soil test or just clear the land and go? I'll be you could use a fair amount of lime on that soil. We have a camp in 3B just outside of Canton and our soils had pretty low pH's.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smtn10pt,
Never did a soil test on either of our two plots. Im sure it nowhere near where it is suppose to be for optimal growth etc... The plot aren that big and I have always added to bags of pellitized or pulverized lime when planting.I will have to get a soil test done, to see how far off they are. We are right outside of Canton too, Upper and Lower Mountain Road area.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
The soil test sounds like a royal pain but it really isnt that bad and it isnt expensive either. Good luck with your plots this year!

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plot still growing good, will have some pictures up tonight possibly. Will take a sample and send it in to see what we are dealing with.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any recommendations on liming or fertilizing this plot or a first year clover plot. If it was fertilized once, is that it for the fall?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts