The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point I would love to see Pheasants Forever and the state purchase land for the ringneck pheasant.It would be awesome to have 200 acres or so in one of the WPRA.Most of the other states that have wild pheasants have been doing this for years!It would be great to hold special youth hunts there, so new hunters could experience what wild pheasant hunting is all about!It would also be good to keep a population of wild birds at hand for trap n transfer etc.Start with 200 acres then over time add more land in other parts of the state.This way Pa. will truely have pheasants forever!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is this because the majority of the land in the WPRA is private now and the average hunter will never get a chance to experience the wild birds.

Just saying............

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No ,that's not it at all!I would rather look at all the positive things that could come from it!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
In our WPRA there is 5000 acres open to public hunting and another 800 to 900 acres in the preserve that can be used for a trap and transfer to other areas of the state.

Just saying.....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lynn,
Is there something different in other states that enables Pheasants Forever to purchase land?I know some of the states land, is as expensive as PA..

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I think we are missing the motivation and the numbers. PF has low membership compared to other states. It is just more difficult to raise money here. There are matching funds available. The first step is to identify the proerty. Find a property in the WPRA that is for sale and try to see if the landowner is open to selling it to us. It may also be possible to have the landowner sell the development rights through a conservation easment allowing PF to purchase the land at a lower cost. A conservation minded landowner is the key in most cases.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Lynn,
Is this including Millville? Game cooperator and safety zone lands are not a guarantees for open hunting.

Isn't there 150,000 in your WPRA. 5,000 is not that big of a piece of the pie. Out of that 150,000 there has to be some private guy that would enable any Idea Fldbred came up with for a youth opportunity or trap and transfer. Heck, for I know you own land or have a close friend with land in WPRA.

I honesty don't get the point of buying 200 acres. You have everything you need now. What is two hundred acres in the middle of the WPRA going to do?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I am talking about the PPL ground that is open to hunting. While the entire size of the WPRA is 150,000 acres, some of that is wooded and housing etc. Some of the best habitat, which is where the birds will hang, is open to hunting. Some of the private ground can be hunted with permission. Many people will have the opportunity to hunt these birds. Friends, neighbors and family members of the landowners will be able to hunt. I do not own land in the WPRA and have no specific permission to hunt on any private property. I'll be looking to PPL land and anybody else who gives me permission when I ask to hunt. I also plan to still hunt the game farm birds outside the WPRA. I do look forward to hunting wild birds even if it means flushing 20 hens and the occassional rooster. My dog can't tell the difference

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lynn,
If you are serious,I will start doing some ground work.Let me know what we are looking for.There is a small parcell for sale not far from where we did the flushing survey.It was not that expensive.

Purchasing land is one sure way of leaving a legacy for future generations.Pheasants Forever is active in many states with land purchases and land trusts.In Ohio,a state like Pa.,is losing farmland to urban sprawl,Al and Gayna Foreman enrolled their 100 acre farm in PF Forever Land Trust to protect it from developement.There are many stories just like this in other states .Why can't Pa. do the same.Wouldn't it be nice to have land that can be forever managed for pheasants and other grassland species.We would be able to do research to find out what works best in Pa.,starting small but adding to it every year so that there will always be wild pheasant in Pa.These areas would not have to rely on C.R.E.P.and other government programs.In most of the other states,Pheasants Forever has been doing this with great results,Pa. has some catching up to do!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think this is a great idea! I know Pheasants Forever has a program called "Build A Wildlife Area" that to date has purchased 4,638 acres in Minnesota,Iowa,Wisconsin, and Illinois. Maybe something like this can happen in Pa!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Get on it Dan. We have discussed it in the past but have not done anything concrete. We also discussed it at the PA PF state meet this summer. It requires a fair amount of time and effort. We have been concentrating on the wild trap and transfer but now we need to look at keeping the habitat on the ground.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BRN2RUN,
It looks like you have done your home work,that's great!Lynn is right when he talks about motivation,although the number of pheasant hunters in Pa. is equal to some other pheasant states,their membership in PF is in some cases 10 times what it is here.I think maybe that will change when people see the success Lynn and others are having!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lynn,
I am on it!PM sent with one parcel!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lynn,
Let me know how you make out with that property!It is small,but I think it is in a good area!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lynn,
There is a parcel of land south of the first piece that is more wetland,I'll look into it further!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Is most of the property surrounding the WPRA's private? Or are the properties selected for WPRA close to public hunting grounds? I live in Chester county and there is a lot of private property (old king ranch) that would be perfect for wild pheasants. Problem is, it is very tough to get permission to hunt on that land and the closest game land is french creek or muddy run in lancaster. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most of the land is private property,some of this will be open to hunting.Private property is a problem in most states,Pa. is in better shape than a lot of other states with it's Farm Co-Op and Safety Zone programs.As you know your area was once great for pheasants,but even back then "late 60's"it was becoming harder to find unposted land.The South East part of the state just doesn't look the same,what isn't private is developed,making bringing back the ringneck that much harder!

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are two farms within 5 miles of my house that get pheasants as part as the co-op. The land that lies between coatesville and kennett square is all horse farm. There is also a 700 acre preserve which is surrounded by private farms. A lot of old money in this county. I know most of the land owners/managers allow deer hunting. Would it be worth approaching them about PF and their vision?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts