The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a primos alpha dogg I lent to a friend.. I am looking for MP3 gray fox distress to purchase to place on the caller for him..Does anyone know of a place online to download in a MP3 format.. It has to be MP3 and primos does not have a gray fox distress..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to TT site again and typed in gray fox and it brought up stray grey and I ended up purchasing that sound.. He has some good sounds and I have gotten a few of his on my FP and LD caller. The stray grey sounds good and also purchased the bob fox fight that will go on my FP caller..

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
FP has gray fox distress. i think they call it platinum gray
Platinum Gray is one of those FoxPro sounds I always heard everyone rave about. Just like all the other go to FoxPro sounds, when I used to call for fox, it never work for me lol. FoxPro “Gray Fox Distress” did though. Reds and Grays, even 2 Bobcats.🤷‍♂️
I don’t know why but I always struggled when I tried taking others calling advice, never started having success until I started doing my own thing. Maybe I just did the right things wrong, and wrong things right.🤪 I don’t know how else to figure it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Platinum Gray is one of those FoxPro sounds I always heard everyone rave about. Just like all the other go to FoxPro sounds, when I used to call for fox, it never work for me lol. FoxPro “Gray Fox Distress” did though. Reds and Grays, even 2 Bobcats.🤷‍♂️
I don’t know why but I always struggled when I tried taking others calling advice, never started having success until I started doing my own thing. Maybe I just did the right things wrong, and wrong things right.🤪 I don’t know how else to figure it.
Around here them grays cant get enough of the patinum gray..I always start out with cottontail for 5 minutes then turn the platinum loose.. When I play the fox sounds I have the volume no lower than 35.. And then I have to mute the call to get them to slow down and look for where the sound might of came from.. But I understand when you talk about the rave for some sounds and they just turn to dud..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why does it say smith. Thought that was JS sound..I seen smith earlier but it look like it should of been a JS sound. Maybe because the side a and b and something triggered JS sound..

·
Registered
926 Posts
Why does it say smith. Thought that was JS sound..I seen smith earlier but it look like it should of been a JS sound. Maybe because the side a and b and something triggered JS sound..
It says smith because it's a James L Smith record. He was from PA Brookville Summerville area an made his own calls an sounds. Just like Johnny Stewart same era just not as famous. An the sound your referring to by JS is called (gray fox pup) it's totally a one of a kind sound an has probably killed more gray's than any other sound. It is not available through fxp or Lucky duck but supposedly can be found somewhere on mp3 format I'm just not sure where.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Jim Smith GF was the first I heard of and used. Great sound and results.
Johnny Steward marketed his sounds and calls nationwide much wider scale then Smith.
As said, JSGFP (Johnny Steward Grey Fox Pup) sound killed more Greys than any other sound and maybe kill more fur than any other sound. His crow sounds are great as well.

I called Johnny Steward several times as a teenager. I ask questions and advise. Talking with him, he was down to earth and gave me straight answers.
Over time, I got comfortable with asking Johnny questions and ask how he got such a wonderful Grey Fox sound & Crow sound.
I never met Johnny or Jim but would have liked to sit with them around the campfire.

·
Registered
769 Posts
MY buddy Rw dogline and I started doing this 35 yrs ago or more with the ol JS cassette tapes and a speaker on a 25 ft wire
got a lot of greys with his grey pup in distress If I remember Johnny had real animal sounds

·
Registered
993 Posts
It says smith because it's a James L Smith record. He was from PA Brookville Summerville area an made his own calls an sounds. Just like Johnny Stewart same era just not as famous. An the sound your referring to by JS is called (gray fox pup) it's totally a one of a kind sound an has probably killed more gray's than any other sound. It is not available through fxp or Lucky duck but supposedly can be found somewhere on mp3 format I'm just not sure where.
That sound was amazing. I used to have it on tape. Probably lost in a move though.

Reactions: Bowhunter862C

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
MY buddy Rw dogline and I started doing this 35 yrs ago or more with the ol JS cassette tapes and a speaker on a 25 ft wire
lol, at the 25' cord. Looking back, that was sorta a pain.
47 seasons ago, I took my soon to be wife along calling. One stop because she was cold already.
I placed her behind me. Couple minutes into the call, she whispers Hern, Hern.
I don't answer.
Then, Hern, Hern
Quiet, I said.
Minutes and minutes go by, nothing.
She whispers again, Hern, Hern.
I don't answer and stay focused.
15 minutes, nothing. I turn off caller and say, Let's go. Nothing here.
She said, why didn't you shoot that Fox behind us? I was trying to tell you! It was right here! Kept leaving then kept coming back!! It was neat watching it!

Tracks in the snow were back and forth as she said. I felt 2" tall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts