The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? I'm going to go check out some 3 week old beagle pups soon. The two I've already had were both 2 years old, so this is new to me. I hope to hunt over the pup, but it's more important to me that the dog is sociable and likes kids, which, since we are talking about a beagle here, shouldn't be a problem. I realize that a beagle pup is a whirlwind, but I am prepared since I already know how awesome the breed is.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I don't have any advice for picking a pup, other than make sure it comes from a good bloodline. It will make the training for hunting over it much easier. I normally just close my eyes and grab a pup, hasn't let me down yet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't have any good advice either, hard to tell what they will make at that age. I had mt wife pick my last pup, when my daughter is old enough i will let her do it.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know. The pup is free. They are from my brother in laws brother. Both parents are good hunters, because this guy would not have a dog that won't hunt. There were 8 in the litter. Mom is on site, of course. Dad wasn't. 4 Tri color and 4 Blue tick.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We breed labs. Would be a little better to wait till they are a little older,maybe 6-7 weeks or so. little better idea about there personalities. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
At 3 weeks if I had to make a choice, it would be based on color alone and I would take the bluetick over tri-color everyday. If I am looking at older pups, I let them choose me...

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about a female, but since I'm going through a divorce right now, the temptation to name a female dog after the ex wife would have been too great.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
like was said...pick whatever one you like...aint no tellin much about em till they start maturing IMO...

i picked my coon dog at 10 days old based on how he was colored LOL...he might never tree a coon in his life..i dont know...but he sure is a good lookin 7 month old pup now!!! from what i hear he acts real good and got a killer mouth on him...cant wait to get home and start messin with him some...

its a crap shoot..never know if a huntin dog will have it or if he wont...only good training and lots of time will tell the truth...

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I picked my pup, I looked at the litter and found the calmest one of the bunch...I didn't want an aggressive dog. It worked. If I were to pick again, I would let the dog pick me. Go with your gut.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I agree, I always let the dog pick me, or in my case he picked my son. The whole time I had one picked out based on color in pictures. Then at 8 weeks old we got there and the one I thought I wanted was hiding in the corner and wanted nothing to do with either of us. There was this one smaller pup that didn't much stand out but he wouldn't leave my son alone. Needless to say he is 6 months old now and circling rabbits like a pro.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts