The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an old 12 ga pump that hangs up/sticks after firing and will not eject the spent shell. Unfired shells cycle perfectly. What component could be responsible for this?

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
A dirty or damaged chamber?

What is the age, make and model?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That sounds like an old Savage 12 ga pump to me. I had one that hung nearly everytime. It was chambered 3", but it never liked anything but the length it would try to cycle.

You can see what happens with 2 3/4", then try 3", depending on the gun, one or the other may work.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Could be:
That there is a "burr" on one of the action rods (does it have 2 or 1).
That your gun has a tight chamber and that you are using shells with aluminum bases and they are over expanding when fired thus getting stuck in the chamber.
The gun needs a good cleaning and kept LIGHTLY oiled.

Keep us up to date on how this turns out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it’s an old Higgins that I inherited that never did work well so it was stored and I just pulled it out of the case, disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. I did not see any damage or burrs and it does feel like the case is expanding. I have not used this gun for obvious reasons but now would like to have it functioning properly. Have to give it a good pop on the ground to eject the spent shell, I will disassemble again and inspect closer.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Just an FYI. Most old JC Higgins were actually High Standards. Higgins may have also put it's brand on some Winchester Model 12s.
Beat me to it. The mod12's have a disconnect that the slide has to move forward(usually during recoil) in order for it to cycle. I've got a couple that sometimes you have to push forward on the slide to get it to cycle.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My Ithaca 37 did that a few years ago after working great for 40+ years. I removed the barrel and cleaned the chamber real good and fixed it. Must have been plastic or powder fouling?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a Higgins which sometimes will leave the spent shell in the chamber, just doesn't grab it when I cycle the pump action. Never tried to solve the issue as I don't carry it anymore. Interested to hear what you discover.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked it over at lunch and can see no bent rod, burrs or debris. Lightly rubbed some steel wool where the case meets the chamber, tried a spent aluminum shell and it snapped into place and had to be pried out with a small screw driver. It came out with a lot less effort than when it was freshly shot so I think something else is occurring. The bolt did have a ridge on the top in the 10 and 2 o’clock position which I lightly buffed out with 600 grit.
The point about cycling forward is interesting and I will look at that later. Is the disconnect on the discharge side (right) side of the frame?
Heading to camp tonight for a few days so probably won’t shoot it again until tomorrow afternoon.
If anything else comes up I will check back in,
Thanks guys

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Is this only happening with aluminum base shells as opposed to brass based shells?

I have seen some guys have problems when shooting shells like Remington Gun Clubs. It is not common but it does happen.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so the extractors seem to function under spring pressure so I don’t think it is that however the problem is not that the shell won’t extract when the action is opened - it is the action won’t open.
I have not tried different shells yet but years ago when I tried to use this I had high and low brass shells doing the same thing - probably why it has been stored in the back of the cabinet for so long. I will grab a couple other shells to test with.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Okay, so the extractors seem to function under spring pressure so I don’t think it is that however the problem is not that the shell won’t extract when the action is opened - it is the action won’t open.
I have not tried different shells yet but years ago when I tried to use this I had high and low brass shells doing the same thing - probably why it has been stored in the back of the cabinet for so long. I will grab a couple other shells to test with.
Data point; My Win Mod 12 (made in 1929) requires that after firing the pump must be forced forward before it can be drawn backward to work the action of the gun. FYI....

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Is this only happening with aluminum base shells as opposed to brass based shells?

I have seen some guys have problems when shooting shells like Remington Gun Clubs. It is not common but it does happen.
Like I said before.......... Aluminum vs brass; the aluminum sometimes expands a bit more causing stuck cases....
:kiss2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here you go, not sure which one in particular helped, maybe a combination of a couple.
I followed up on the slide release comment and it is actually part of the trigger mechanism, which I totally overlooked twice. This piece had a good size burr on it, filed that off and just shot a dozen mixed shells through it with no stuck cases. Used aluminum, low brass and high brass mixed together. Surprisingly no problems.
I think the thorough cleaning helped but the slide release burr was the main culprit.
Thanks all for your assistance. Hate to see a good old gun just sitting around collecting dust. Now this will be repurposed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts