The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a couple of geese on Saturday so I decided to throw them in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce I like and let them slow cook all day. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this and if so how did they turn out? I was sick of making stew and chili so I thought I'd switch it up a bit.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice, I threw two breast in and four legs. I figured I'd eat the breast on a bun and get my fingers dirty with the the legs.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Guys brought 10lbs of breast meat this weekend. Making stix with white chedder jalapeno cheese. I'll post pics later this week.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Best BBQ pulled meat you'll ever have....get yourself some Chibatta Bread from Wal-Mart Bakery...split roll, spread on butter, lightly toast in frying pan on buttered sides, place a few scoops of bbq goose on bottom half, top bbq with a handful of shredded sharp (or extra sharp) cheddar, place top on sandwhich, cover with lid in frying pan to melt cheese. Best sandwhich you'll ever have. Watch for leftover shot

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I still can't figure out why my wife doesn't think this is funny...

At least she doesn't ask what the small plate is for anymore. Then again, that's about the time i switched from using a shotty for squirrels to a 22. less metallic bits in my dinner

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it shreds pretty good.

Not sure if you guys made me have high hopes, but I didn't think the goose BBQ turned out too good. I mean it was ok, on a scale of 1 - 10 it was a 6 or 6.5. It was a little tough, and I may have used too much BBQ sauce. I'll give it another try. I definitly like goose stew and chili better though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
just a suggestion but i think sometimes making your own bbq can make the meat more tender when using a slow cooker. i like to use a cup of vinegar and a cup of brown suger and 8 oz of chili sauce to make bbq. I think all that vinegar helps break down the meat really well. I've used it for beef brisket, pork shoulder, bottom round etc. It seems to make any meat really shred apart easily. I cook it all day and then turn the cooker on high wiht the lid off to make the liquid cook down and thicken up. it's really good.

Just thought i'd thorw that out there. I never tried it with goose but I mgiht have to now! thanks.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I alsways soak my goose meat in buttermilk first to get rid of some of the extra grease. Any one else do this. I've goose BBQ'd in the crockpot but I really like goose jerky from the smoker

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I make jerky with the breasts too, tough to beat. I think it's the best jerky meat of all, even better than beef, much tastier than venison.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I LOVE goose jerky I found a recipe about three years ago that I swear by now and it uses V8 Spicy Tomatoe juice as the "secret ingredient" I'll post the recipe when I have a chance.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have the exact ingredients per pound that I use scribbled down with my recipes, but basically I just use salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, and brown sugar, let it marinate two days, smoke at 165 until dry to your liking. The brown sugar makes it turn dark and sticky after a couple days, and it is finger licking good stuff. I can get the exact formula and put up if anyone really wants it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had goose breast nuggets that were wrapped in bacon and done over charcoal. Just before serving they were dipped in sweet and sour sauce. I can't tell you how good they were, but I still remember them 15 years later.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If it was tough it probably was not in the crockpot long enough.I make barbecued rabbit in a crockpot. 2 cut-up rabbits,add enough water to cover the meat, Add 3 chicken bullion cubes,salt and pepper to taste ; 12 -16 hrs. on low setting. Then seperate meat from bones. It falls apart.Add some kraft hickory smoke barbecue sauce; just enough to give a little flavor.I used a 3rd of a bottle. Mix in a seperate container. It tastes kinda like pulled pork

1 - 19 of 19 Posts