The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting colder and staying cold, and next week look cold with high's in the 20's and lows in the teens...time to quit trapping coon??????

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Its breeding season....all beta are off on coon movement...I've treed em cold temps with more than a dusting of snow on the ground....

If the traps are on your canine line or you dont mind checking them even if they arent as hot as they were and want more coon, I'd leave em set unless we get a major snow storm...

Some are rubbing but like every year, not all of them...shot 3 the other nite...1 was rubbed which actually had.more than.rubbing going on...when i brushed him fur came off in globs...he would have went 4x...the other went 5x...the first one i shot went xl...looked big till he hit the ground...but this time of year i typically tree my biggest coon of the year...

If you need good consistent catches, id pull em though...movement isnt real predictable...the boars run from den tree to den tree looking for love...

Saturday with 45 and sunny every coon in the woods will be out i am betting..
Ive found sunny days are good even if cold..sunshine warms the den tree and they come.down for a quick drink.and.snack...today is cold but i still may hunt tonite...its sunny.and will get to 30 or so..

·
Registered
61 Posts
no action here since that warm spell but i'm leaving mine out. they're easy enough to check with my canine sets. not expecting much but we'll see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
they were moving well tonite....

treed 2 and a couple den trees...shot 1 nice boar..probably go 2x maybe 3...no rubs..not stained bad..

the other looked to be a good boar as well but of course he was in the back yard of a house so i left him up the tree..

had no trouble getting tracks struck clear up till 1030 or so...trees and limbs started falling so i headed home for safeties sake..windy woods in the day scare me...wind at nite is pretty terrifying when tree tops start twisting off all around in the dark..

looks like the hound dog will be bummed out and laid up a bit till this cold spell breaks again...will give me time to catch up on the fur..1 more batch and the freezer will be empty...a couple more boards for next season will do me well...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought they'd be moving last night. I had 42F for a low here. Still nothing on my line this morning. One location that I had a lot of success earlier in the season hasn't had any action in 2013. I'm not sure about this, but maybe their patterns change quite a bit from early and when they start to den up and I'm not near enough to any den locations.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Caught 2 last night in canine sets. Both really big males but definitely dull in color. Don't know how you guys are still catching quality furred coons. Would love to see some pics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts