The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have high hopes that I will snowshoe hare hunt a bunch in NY in the future. So I built this sled. We wasted a lot of time walking from the truck to different spots so I hope this will allow us to get more hunting time in.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For stability? Or for following in the tracks of the snowmobile? It's 3 foot wide now.

Or do you mean the actual width of the runner itself?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Jlane35 said:
For stability? Or for following in the tracks of the snowmobile? It's 3 foot wide now.

Or do you mean the actual width of the runner itself?
I'll chime in here because I saw quite a few of these when I lived in Switzerland. The runners you have look mighty thin and that box looks quite substantial. I would recccomend that you consider wider runners and watch what you make them out of as metal will have a tendency to collect snow and ice and actually drag on snow. Now - a lot depends on the constancy of the snow and the best way to get arround this is to find a way to put on wooden runners that can be waxed. Don't use that canning wax ; use the stuff they put on snowboards or skis. I think you have a great idea here - but widen them runners and make them out of wood. Use discarded skis for runners......

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The runners actually are discarded skis so they shouldn't collect snow. The box is 80 pounds empty. So with my two dogs and possibly my uncles dog we are looking at roughly 150 pounds sitting on the sled.

I appreciate the input and the only way I'll find out what needs to be improved upon is get up there and tow it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You really have been bitten by the hare bug.

Only cure is heading north between October and March.

I'll be in the 'dacks for a few days 4 months from this weekend.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have for sure. Maybe our paths will cross this year. I hope to make it once or twice before my trip to NH at the end of October.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
On the kennel, I agree with the guys. Best thing I have seen is the old ice fishing sled customized with a dog box and a stabilizing bar on front. Pic of one on Millers web site.

John L

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well if this doesn't work John the ice fishing sled will be my alternative. I'm sure Chris knows best he is the one out there almost everyday of the season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts